Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker Hiss Help

PapaSmurf1502

Aug 20, 2011
Hello,

I'm new here and am in need of assistance. I have an extensive entertainment setup involving my computer, TV, speakers, and game systems, all hooked up and controlled via switches mounted on my desk. The only problem is that when my coax cable to my TV is plugged in the wall, there is a hissing noise through my speakers. When I move my mouse on my computer, the hissing changes with my movements. The internet/cable box is on the left of the system, then my computer, then TV setup, and then the power, with everything integrated. Is there any way to stop this hissing noise while having the coax plugged in?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Start from the beginning.
Check your power cords to all the different devices. If you've got a 3-prong adapter in there somewhere, you might have to turn a plug around, so all the components are on the same neutral wire. Check all your other wires. Do you have a power cord wrapped-up near any of your signal wires. Sometimes AC hum from the power cords can induce interference on the signal wires to your other components.
There's plenty more to check, and others here will have ideas for you, but that's where to start.
(Also, flourescent bulbs near devices, can induce interference in audio circuits or wires).

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
speaker hiss

Hello there and welcome. the previous post says most of whats probably going on, i might not cram it all to close together, all consumer electricals let of electrical noise, then there is electromagnetic interferance, although most items use mains suppression circuits on the input, its enevitable if all stacked or clumped together and using the same mains outlet, i would expect some noise, i would take it all down and add one item at a time, process of elimination, to find the culprite. Dave.

PapaSmurf1502

Aug 20, 2011
Well, I'm in a 10 x 10 dorm room, so space is incredibly limited. Everything is also backed up to a large, metal air conditioning unit. Everything works splendidly as long as the coax isn't plugged into either the wall or the TV. Since that's the case, would it more likely be that my coax or either jack is bad rather than proximity to power cables? My mouse is wireless, so that might be part of the issue as well. Thank you for your suggestions, though. I'll certainly try some of them out.

EDIT: The vast majority of my plugs are 2-prong plugged into two 3-prong power strips, though most of the appliances plugged in are either gaming systems or very low wattage computer accessories (such as a USP adapter/strip.) Since most of these are turned off at any one time, would that narrow down the potential culprits? There is also a lamp cord running through this setup.

Last edited:

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Speaker hiss

Hi again. yes its probably not the coax, it could be the plugs joint, or as you say its the wall coax socket i guess its a shared instalation, and possably amplfied to supply all the rooms, an ajacent room might hold the fault, or the system itself, have a word with the in house engineer or technician. The items with two pin plugs on our double insulated, three pin is earth as well for external metal chassis. your appliance plugs pose no problems that i can see, hope you get to the cause of it. Dave.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You seem to have ground loops. Break them by inserting an isolator in the coax to the (flat-screen) TV.
Explanation/examples can be found here (for example).