Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker goes out on a Fisher CA-283 Amp

YoMoma

Sep 6, 2011
I`ve researched this forum and have seen a couple other questions about the same Fisher amp I have, with almost the same question.
What is wrong is that at times a speaker will cut out. All I need to do is turn up the volume and it comes back on, then I can reduce the volume with both channels still working. But eventually the one speaker will go out again.
I`ve looked at you tube and someone has a few videos on the same amp I have and what he did to fix his intermittant speaker outage. He says he took out the speaker relay, cleaned the contacts and slightly bent the metal in the relay to get better contact.
I have replaced the speaker wire and have opened the speaker box to look for loose connections and have found none.
Does this sound like what I may have to do?
I am not so electronically inclined.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've had similar problems with my Kenwood amp. Contacts somewhere are dirty or
worn, when you up the volume, you reach a breakover current point where the circuit
conducts again. Not familiar with the Fisher problem, but sounds like somebody has
identified the weak leak in your circuit (speaker relay). They make cheap 'burnishing
tools' which look like extremely fine small files. If you find the relay, open it, and use
the burnishing tool to 'burnish' (like file), the contacts to clean them up. The burnisher
would be available from an electronic parts supply store.
If this is over your head, you'll need somebody who repairs amps. But if you use a
shop, they'll just replace the relay at a higher cost (plus labor).
good luck

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
If the relay contacts are prone to oxidation (silver) then your description is exactly how it'll behave.
The higher voltage at higher volumes "punches through" the oxide layer and makes contact (for a while).
Apply contact cleaner on a strip of thick paper and pull it between the contacts while pressing the contacts together.
Carefully bending the (right) contacts closer together ensures a higher contact pressure which will reduce the likelyhood of a re-occurrence.