Connect with us

Speaker cabinet switcher

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Bert, Dec 28, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bert

Bert

Nov 22, 2011
    Hey there. I'm pretty new to electronics and I'd love to make a speaker cabinet switcher like this: http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm. I'm hoping to switch between at least 3 speaker cabinets, but it still seems like it would be pretty simple. What components should I look into to make this happen? I'm sure its more than just a big three way switch...

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing about a 3 way switch. but you could use a few push on push off switches, this will allow you to use more than 1 cabinet at a time.

3. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    hi Bert,

A (high current rated ) 3 way switch can indeed be used but you must never switch speaker cabinet when playing or bad things can happen to you amplifier and/or you speaker ! better to stop sources and reduce the volume to 0 before.
    Having more than one cabinet used a time as suggested by donkey is possible with push off (or rocker switch) but you must ensure that the (becoming paralleled) loudspeakers impedance will not become to low for the amplifier or again bad things can happen.

Olivier

4. Bert

Bert

Nov 22, 2011
    What if I wanted to switch multiple amps between multiple cabs? Like have amp A, B, and C each able to be switched between cabs A, B, and C.

5. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi,

having any amp connected to any cab is more touchy. It will look more like a 3 by 3 matrix mean that 2 amplifier output can be connected together, very bad. So it only can be done safely with a relay/switch combination and a bit of electronic to avoid any forbidden combination.

Olivier

6. Bert

Bert

Nov 22, 2011
    Are there any good tutorials online for working with high power electronics like this? I'm not at all familiar with this.

7. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi, don't know for online tutorials Bert, but relays and switches can be classified as basic electrical components (so you can Google accordingly) . controlling the relays (in your application at least) can be more classified as electronics.
    You can also maybe ask here:
    http://www.diyaudio.com/

Olivier

8. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    would it be better to make the new contact before breaking the old contact?

9. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi Donkey,

yes it will be better for the loudspeakers but we still must care about the impedance "reduction".
    Can also be both contact before break and unshort a temporary serial load to relief the amplifier.

Olivier

Ask a Question