Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SPDT switch connected to keyboard?

circuitdude

Apr 2, 2012
Hi all,

I would like some help with a project, but please note that I'm fairly new to the electronics world :) .

What I'm trying to do is a switch panel that is connected to a keyboard controller - just like in this video .

The only difference is that the panel will be for flight simulator use, so instead of that button, I will be using SPDT toggle switches.
The software that I am going to use does not require the key to be released for the certain action to take effect. However, if I want to switch back to the "off" position in-game the same key has to be pressed.

So, the question is, If I flip the toggle switch to the "on" position and flip it again to the "off" position, will it let the electric signals go to the controller even after it is switched to the "off" position ? :confused: .

If not, is there any other type of toggle switch that will do the job?
Or can I connect the same switch to multiple contacts on the controller?

Thanks in advance.

circuitdude

Apr 2, 2012
The question that I stated in my previous message was not specific enough, that can also be the reason I did not get any replies yet.
So, basically, when I flip the switch off, will it be just like releasing a key on my keyboard?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
So, basically, when I flip the switch off, will it be just like releasing a key on my keyboard?

I would think so from watching that youtube video.

Anyone else, like steve etc, remember that guy that wanted to make foot controls for his music thing? He would probably enjoy watching this video.

circuitdude

Apr 2, 2012
Can I connect the same switch to 4 different contacts on the controller? For example when I flip it in "on" position it will be the same as key 'x' and when I flip it in the off position it will be just like pressing key 'y' ?

Anyone else, like steve etc, remember that guy that wanted to make foot controls for his music thing? He would probably enjoy watching this video.
Yeah, I was amazed that I didn't find this video earlier but I'm glad that I eventually found it. You can make anything you want just by using an old keyboard which should cost no more than $30.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Someone has posted a similar question some time ago. If I recall we went into some detail about options.

A major problem is that the switch has state that the keys don't. If you toggle the button quickly and the software misses it (or if you start the software and the switches are in the wrong position) it may be hard to get it right again.

circuitdude

Apr 2, 2012
Can I connect the same switch to 4 different contacts on the controller? For example when I flip it in "on" position it will be the same as key 'x' and when I flip it in the off position it will be just like pressing key 'y' ?
Will a DPDT toggle switch do the job for this one? :confused:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maybe this thread will help.