Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soviet Era Electronics

fatman57

May 27, 2013
Hi All,

Soviet era designs are still being used in many parts of the world. Parts look very different and I cannot help but think that some may function differently.

Were any of these components in any way 'better' than what the other side was producing or is producing today? Their transistors look very different but most I have encountered have large metal casings - I presume this might have something to do with EMP resistance but I am only guessing (I know they used valves on aircraft radar for this reason, apparently).

If anyone has any knowledge on these components and how they work I wouldn't mind hearing about it...also, do they still use the same style of components on the Russian parts of the International Space Station?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Nowadays everything looks chinese. You came across very old equipment or specialized parts you are not familiar with, designed with different views, by another school of thought, manufactured by other methods and processes, in places with no FCC, NEMA, IEEE, ANSI, SAE, UL, nor western regulations, but performing equally in the electronics sciences and obeying the same physics laws.

fatman57

May 27, 2013
I was of the opinion that everything looks Chinese but I met a Ukrainian person who studied telecommunications recently and they were taught with the older soviet style components.

I was wondering who had the upper hand on what in terms of electronics, if any design implementations on the Soviet side had one over the other side...and do the Russians now use Chinese parts (aka 'western' designs) in the ISS?