Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sourcing a Trigger Switch

lothian

Jan 5, 2021
I'm try (without much success) to source a replacement for the trigger switch in the image. It's a fairly ubiquitous 120v detent-style momentary-ON. The make and model are clearly visible. I've searched against FD04-2116 and scouted Mouser and DigiKey, but no luck. A link to a viable part would be greatly appreciated.

switch.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Looks like aliexpress might have very similar trigger switches.
Does yours have a lock button?
What tool is it for?

Martin

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
I see that you have also posted on DIY/tool forums looking for this switch.
You have been asked for details on the tool the switch is fitted to, but have not responded to these requests.

My suggestion would be to give us details of the tool, otherwise most people are just going to give up on offering you any assistance.
Probably might also help to advise your location.

lothian

Jan 5, 2021
The switch is from a Chicago Electric SDS Rotary Hammer, model 69274. It's a fairly ubiquitous trigger switch, not terribly robust from my inspection compared with better-brand momentary switches, and likely used in many inexpensive power tools.

I learned that the switch body on these things (the black bit in my photo) conforms to a common form factor and is used a lot of tools, regardless of brand/make/model/price point, so finding a switch body to replace that which broke in my tool was not my problem. The trigger is the issue.

Turns out, triggers (the orange bit in my photo) are spec'd to conform to the contours of whatever tool they're going into. The trigger means of attachment varies as well; e.g., post, slot, keyed. Additionally, triggers are commonly sonically welded to that means of attachment, so swapping switch triggers between switches bodies--which was my intent--is improbable.

I never did find that FD04-2116. I ended up using a new trigger switch that kinda kit, and now completely fits (with a little modification). My tool is back in service; and I now know way more about these particular 'momentary ON detent switches' than I ever expected to.