Connect with us

Source for Switches

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Ivan Mascovich, Oct 23, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. For my project I need some switches that I would like to have semi-
    decorative. I will need about 10 switches in total.

    1. A master on/off switch. I'd like it to be a different color. Might need
    to switch two circuits at once. 9V, up to 3AMPs.

    2. About 10 on/off switches. 9V , up to .5 amps.

    3. Two sliding switches of the rheostat variety.

    I would like for these switches to:

    A. be semi-decorative.
    B. match
    C. Be relatively inexpensive.
    D. Small (ie about the size of an on/switch for a typical modem)
  2. Rich Webb

    Rich Webb Guest
  3. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    do you want chromed toggle switches, or small plastic rocker switches.
    (I have two modems with different switch styles)

    you'll probably pay around a buck each either way, maybe a little less on
    the rockers.

    sliders are harder (harder to mount for a start, OTOH if rotary is OK
    chromed knobs are easily had.


    for your plugs, you could use a "banana" plug/souket for the ground
    and the mini-din discussed earlier carry the power into each lighting

    the two side-by-side woulde be under your 1" limit or you could put them
    different pillars.

  4. Thanks, but I've been to all of those (excdept bg) but I can't interpret
    the information to translate to the my needs. In short, under what name
    should I be searching?


    Digikey's catalog has no "rheostat category".
    There are Rheostat resistors.
    Wirewound rhoestat resistors.
    Digital rheostat potentiometers.
    50 and 12.5 Watt, twist type rheostats.

    I've got to believe with all the parts Digikey has they have what I
    need....but where?
  5. I think plastic rockers would be more appropriate in my application. I'm
    afraid dials would take up too much space. The reason for desiring a
    slider is that one could instantly look at it and see the position.

    Do you know what a rheostat slider would be called in these catalogs?
  6. Rich Webb

    Rich Webb Guest

    Hard to tell. A limitation of the medium, I'm afraid, trying to
    interpret what you have visualized.

    Try Digikey or one of the other large sites to get an idea of what
    manufacturers have product lines that hit somewhere near what you're
    trying to find. Then hop over to the manufacturer's web site. They often
    do a better job of presenting the product line than do the general
    retailers who, if they don't include the kitchen sink, do at least have
    washers. [ducks head, runs for cover]
  7. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

  8. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    probably "slide potentiometer"

    I mainly use a paper catalogue and it doesn't have any.

    last time I asked at a hobbyiist electronics store they said they didn't
    stock any as there were too many variations (length, mounting style....)

  9. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day