Connect with us

source for can electrolytic caps??

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Boborann, Apr 1, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Boborann

    Boborann Guest

    I just got a 60's era jukebox in need of caps Most of them are tha alumminum
    cand that mount on the chasis with valuse like 1500 uf 50 V
    Can somebody point mne to a source of these I would like to keep it looking
    original if possible and would rather not put in caps meant cor a PCB
  2. DaveM

    DaveM Guest

    A few reliable sources:

    Dave M
    MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

    Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time!!
  3. Guest

    The top of the chassis mount "can" electrolytics usually are just
    dried up and as long as they are not shorted or have excessive
    electrical leakage you do not have to remove them or disconnect them
    thus preserving the original look... and can connect "modern"
    electrolytics under the chassis to the "can" electrolytic terminals.
    The modern caps are so much smaller in the last several years and can
    easily be mounted under the chassis.
  4. JK

    JK Guest

    Yes mount new individual caps under the chassis.
    1. The cap cans available these days are possibly old stock, which
    could be leaky already.
    2.They are also quite costly.
    3.Designs and dimensions may not match up to the holes in your chassis.

    Best to disconnect the power supply wiring from the old cap can in case
    of a future short, mount new caps so they share the original ground,
    and sometimes a terminal strip helps for the hot leads. Zap straps to
    hold the new caps in place are sometimes handy. Be sure to order
    polarized caps. Make sure the fuse is rated correctly no more than 2
    amps, possibly 1 or 1.5 amp slo-blo. It's all about protecting the
    power transformer ($$$$).

  5. Lynn Coffelt

    Lynn Coffelt Guest

    Yes mount new individual caps under the chassis.
    Or, as some nuts are pretty good at, is opening the old can, gutting it, and
    stuffing it with a fresh new electrolytic, which is most likely small enough
    to fit right in!
    Old Chief Lynn
  6. Boborann

    Boborann Guest

    Thanks that sounds worth a try
  7. G

    G Guest

  8. Ken Layton

    Ken Layton Guest

    Yes, Antique Electronics ( has some brand new
    fresh stock can "FP" style capacitors.
  9. g. beat

    g. beat Guest

    Bob -

    Tim Reese - replacing electrolytic in old gear

    Phil Nelson's DIY web page

    Antique Radio Supply has access (may have purchased) the Mallory "FP"
    electrolytic "can" production equipment. So they make the more popular

    Photos for "restuffing the old cans with new capacitors

    Rebuilding paper capacitors (Smithsonian level of restoration)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day