Connect with us

Soundboard help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by NedKingsly, Sep 15, 2012.

1. NedKingsly

NedKingsly

Sep 15, 2012
    I am new to this forum and am in desperate need of assistance.
    Google has not been very helpful and since forums are the best place to search for information I figured that you folks would be the ones to ask. I have asked at my local Radio Shack and they have NO idea........

I am a prop builder and am currently building a replica M7 SOCOM submachine gun from the Halo video game franchise. For those familiar with the Halo story, this is the primary weapon of the ODST's.

In any event, I would like to add sound to this weapon but I have a limited amount of space in the butt stock to work with.

My question, given my extremely limited experience, is how to best go about this.

I want the sound to be controlled by a switch, so every time I press the trigger, the trigger hits the switch and the sound will play. I would rather not use an iPod/mp3 setup due to charging issues, but I can if that process is explained.

Any ideas that you folks have would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. I have never done anything like this before so please assume (correctly) that I will need things spelled out - lol.

Thanks!
    ~ Ned

2. NedKingsly

NedKingsly

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the reply Bob - but I am looking for something a bit more robust than a greeting card soundbox. I would prefer something that I could build and have be proprietary.

I will look into the soundbox route though!

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    How long a sound do you expect to play? A microcontroller with PWM or DAC output and enough code space to store in the sound in the flash memory would be a possibility. You would also need an audio amp. For longer sounds you could also use external ROM.

Bob

4. NedKingsly

NedKingsly

Sep 15, 2012
    I want, everytime I pull the trigger, for the sound the SMG makes to play. I would be using an audio file from the game.

The area behind the trigger is not hollow so a wire would have to be threaded.
    I attached a picture of the space that I will have to work with. The upper portion will be entirely taken up by the buffer tube when the stock is retracted.

If need be I can remove the bottom panel of the butt stock and use magnets to secure it in place - allowing access to any board that is in there.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      148.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
  6. NedKingsly

NedKingsly

Sep 15, 2012
    That could definitely work!
    Ill check that out. I sent the seller a message asking for volume on that speaker and how long it will run for.
    That is exactly the setup I am looking for - but it has to be loud enough to be heard .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
Ask a Question