Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sound meter for Band ...mic?

Russfireball

Mar 25, 2013
Hi all

I have recently been working on a project for my band which is a sound pressure meter using a LM3914 logarithmic bar graph driver and a small condenser microphone ( the same as the one shown in the link at the bottom of the page). The system works but it can only pick up higher frequency noises at close proximity, and struggles to pick up deep sounds at all. For example if i was to shout right down the mic with the system held close to me then it would go off the scale yet if i was to play a very low frequency note on a bass guitar at high volume near the circuit nothing would happen

I need a microphone that has a much higher sensitivity to low frequency noises as well as being able to pick up noises that are further away so that i can put the system near the back of a room when the band is playing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Heres the link to the mic im currently using:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/condenser-microphone-components/7542107/

Russ

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Russ
sorry for the late welcome

condenser mics are relatively insensitive. you are going to need some good preamplifier circuitry following the mic and look into some bass boost as well

I cannot offer specific suggestions, maybe others can :)

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK
a quick google search found this example.....

attachment.php

dunno how different it is from what you have tried
there are other relevant hits on google as well

Dave

Attachments

• sound_level_indicator_schematic.gif
    sound_level_indicator_schematic.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 184

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I know Audio Guru from another forum. You know how my avatar makes me look like an old grump? Well he actually is! :D That fact doesn't disqualify his designs though. ;) He's really quite good and he's earned his handle..

Chris

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ohhh yeah prob the same other forum I know of lol

yeah he is a grumpy ol' so and so hahaha

Dave