Connect with us

Sound board not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Steve L Martin, Jun 11, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Steve L Martin

Steve L Martin

Jun 11, 2018
    I have a VIZIO Model VSB200 that I had to fix the dc power supply on due to an exposed wire that gave my step daughter a bit of a zap. I fixed the wire and there is power going to the sound board but it will not turn on. I opened the sound board up to look at the circuit board and see if I could determine if something got burnt out or melted but can't see evidence of any such thing. Is there a way to test the circuit board and see why the sound board is not operating. There are lights on the front of the board when it is power on --- if it's working but now they are not lighting up. I uploaded pictures of the actual interior components of the sound bar and a photo I downloaded from the internet of the exterior..I don't have a remote for mine though. Please advise if anyone has a clue. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Sorry, but that's four totally pointless and useless pictures!

First, an exposed wire - unless it was on the mains voltage side - shouldn't give anyone a 'zap'. What power pack does it use (voltage/current output) and are you sure it's putting out the right voltage? What test equipment do you possess?

Have you tried using another power pack?

3. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    DC (Direct Current) does not oscillate, so will not shock.
    Unless your AC/DC power pack is faulty and allowing AC (Alternating Current) to enter the DC-only circuitry, which would also explain why amp no longer works (blown components).
    Which wire did you fix, and how?
    Maybe reversed polarity or short circuit?

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    ???
    Ever got zapped from an ESD discharge? No AC there.

The main difference is that AC can cause harmful ventricular fibrillation while DC can cause constant contraction of muscles. At sufficiently high currents both AC and DC can cause burns.

Also voltage levels considered safe (below) or dangerous (above) differ for AC and DC. The low voltage directive in the EU e.g. states a limit of AC 50 V or DC 75 V.

73's de Edd likes this.
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Seriously ????
    I really cannot believe you actually wrote that

6. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    I may have generalized too much on the "DC won't shock" bit.
    My point was, at the DC level of about 21-27 volts, (soundbar), which by itself is too low to be shocking, if his daughter experienced a true "shock", and he discovered an exposed wire, it sounds more likely that AC mains or AC secondary was felt.
    To test this theory, I plugged in my obsolete printer's 27 VDC 3A power pack, and held the tip. Nothing.
    Could be ESD, maybe from carpets, jersey / nylon or an onboard electrolytic discharge.

Ask a Question