Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sound activated alarm

am1

Jun 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I should start by saying i have very little electronic knowledge (which is why i am here!) but my dad would be able to build and solder together anything i need, if he knows what parts are needed and what to do with them.

I wanted to create a system that would be triggered by specific sounds, to ring a bell/alarm in a different room, this is because I use a wheelchair, and sometimes can't reach my phone, so i thought this would be a good way of creating a hands free system of getting someone's attention if they can't hear me and i can't reach my phone.

How would i do this?
Is it possible to make a trigger that is only activated by specific sounds, like clicking your tongue?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Radio amateurs have repeaters on hills to retransmit signals and enable communications over longer distances.
The repeaters were turned on by a tone in the received signal. Early tranceivers did not have tone generation circuitry and some amateurs with good pitch would whistle up the repeater.
Some similar circuitry with a microphone could be used to sound an alarm.

A wireless door bell could be used if you are able to press a button.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Is it possible to make a trigger that is only activated by specific sounds, like clicking your tongue?
It is possible to do that... and more. Voice recognition software is readily available for installation on personal computers such as lap-tops and tablets. You could add a USB relay controller to ring bells, light lamps, turn on a coffee maker... whatever you wish to control that operates with electricity. Just speak into the microphone and say, "Jeeves, please turn on the porch light. I am expecting company." The software can be "trained" to recognize words and phrases and will ignore extraneous content.

am1

Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for the replies,
The last suggestion is likely too complicated for me.
Really I am just looking for a something to be triggered by a loud noise, that would ring a bell,
I assumed that there would be switches of sorts that could be triggered like that (like lights that turn on if you clap)

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
If you want to keep it fairly simple you may be restricted to sounds that have been pre set. It would be easy to modify a clapping light sensor to activate a buzzer for eg.

Have you looked at keyfinders? Its a keyring that beeps at you if you whistle. If you can whistle all thats left is to have it activate a remote buzzer.
Many variants can be found on ebay etc for very cheap. If you can't whistle could you keep a whistle on your body/chair where you can reach it?

If thats not suitable do you have some suggested sounds in case tong clicking is not going to work? Can you clap ok? Are there background noises to consider? ie pet birds chirping indoors can set of those keyfinders.

Would you be looking at wired or wireless connection for the detector to communicate with the speaker? Wired is simple and less likely to have problems, but routing the wires can get messy and expensive, especially over distance. Wires on the floor and wheelchairs don't usually get along well.... Modern wireless stuff is getting pretty easy to use and reliable. I'd be inclined to go that way. This would allow the sensor to be fitted to your wheelchair if you would like.

Reading between the lines here, I'm guessing we have a young person with a long term mobility issue?
Perhaps have a look into arduino? It would be one way to tackle your current project. If you just want to do the buzzer and never automate/remote control anything again there would be simpler ways. The advantage to arduino is that there are a ton of basic projects that could help a person with reduced mobility a lot. You could easily remote control every appliance in your house... Also electronics/computers could become a careerer path if you like... I have a good friend in a wheelchair, with very limited hand movement/dexterity. He has made a good living for himself with electronic/computer repairs, as well as using tech to make his life easier.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Colin, you look less stupid if you read the entire post instead of just the title before responding.

Bob

am1

Jun 3, 2016
Hi everyone,
I've been on holiday which is why my reply is a little slow.

I did a little research on this project while away and found something called "The clapper" Which is basically a sound activated switch, that turns a plug socket on and off with sound as a trigger.

My thoughts now are to wire the clapper in to a room, that I will be in then the alarm system wherever the person I want to get the attention of, is (as it is often the same place it can be wired in permanently through the loft).

The only thing I have left to figure out is what would make an alarm sound, just by being turned on at a plug, and whether I would have to build something to do this. So any input with this would be helpful.

Mongrel Shark:
I can whistle, and the key chain is a great idea, so if the clapper doesn't work, that sounds like a great back up plan. I'm hoping just loud noises will set off the clapper, if it doesn't then I at least have a back up idea!
Thank you for your reply, and yes I am a young person if mid 20's still counts! I've had a little google for arduino, and it definitely looks interesting and like it could have lots of potential uses, thank you for letting me know about it!

Colin Mitchell:
I actually have one!

Thanks everyone

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
There are blind dogs and deaf dogs. I have a blind dog. I have to lead him around very carefully so he doesn't bump into things.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Colin, since our new member has the disability, not his Dog, that would be pertinent .... how??? o_O

Actually, a better question would be why do you persist in incessantly posting stuff like this? :confused:

Chris

Tlavery

Mar 5, 2024
I am hoping someone might have suggestions for me with a similar situation. I need a sound activated device (triggered by dog howling/barking) that will activate an ear piercing noise to STOP the howling/barking! I am desperate! I have loud green noise playing at night so I cannot hear the dogs. They are in a room in our home directly under a guest room. So clearly I have to STOP this behavior or we will never be able to have guests stay. This is a recent behavior and I sure could use some help with an electronic solution.