Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SOS HP8116A

Foradini

Mar 17, 2010
Dear friends,

I have a function generator HP 8116A defective.
I need the full service manual (with electrical diagrams) to repair the instrument.
Could anyone help me?
Thanks,

Italo Foradini

[email protected]

Finagain

Aug 3, 2010
IF

Dear Members,
I am joining a lot of people searching for HP 8116 Function Generator Service Manual. Please advise if anybody has an access to it. I will be more than happy to pay for the trouble. Again the same Error E41 (Output voltage). May be somebody knows about any service experts. It was our main tool in our research.
Thank you.
Finagain
[email protected]

Last edited:

Finagain

Aug 3, 2010
HP 8116 Function Generator Service Manual

Sorry, I am new to the forum and not sure how to post a request.
Dear Members,
I am joining a lot of people searching for HP 8116 Function Generator Service Manual. Please advise if anybody has an access to it. I will be more than happy to pay for the trouble. Again the same Error E41 (Output voltage). May be somebody knows about any service experts. It was our main tool in our research.
I have a "look alike" manual for 8112 Function Generator if anybody needs it.
Thank you.
Finagain

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Crack it open and look for a lithium battery (if it has one)... these things die and then the programming is lost... good luck fixing it in that event.

Otherwise, look for bad electrolytics first

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Error code 41 is Output Amplifier fault.
EVERY time I find this fault it's in your
Q503 thru Q513 transistors, the ones under the large heatsink assembly bolted to the chassis. They're all either 2N5160 (HP #1853-0312), or 2N3866A (HP #1854-0784). Simple to just check emiiter/collector back-to-back resistances to find blown transistors. Be careful when you solder in replacements, they have to align with, and be at the same height as the ones you remove, so they'll fit back into the heat-sink assembly, when you put it back together. You may still have another problem, but you can bet some of your Q503 thru Q513's are blown. Good Luck.

Finagain

Aug 3, 2010
Thank you so very much!
I will, certainly follow all advices. I was thinking about the output transistor, but I was a little puzzled - where does it sense (after the tranzistor) to read output and declare E41. My biggest fear was D/A output converter. Anyway, thanks a bunch, I will work on it. Would be nice to have a diagram, though.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The main amp ckt is Q501 thru Q513, offset voltages compensated for by U501 and U502. Offset current error compensated by the offset current control amp (which detects voltage at virtual ground at inverting input of the HF amp). The voltage compared to ground & the offset current control amp. U502 detects undesired offset voltage at HF amp output, and compensates for it. (Or causes the error code, if it can't). Agilent doesn't support the old Hewlett Packard gear. You'd have to buy a manual someplace if you want one.

Last edited: