Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony reel to reel tape recorder inquiry

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
:D
Well, I will stay with my professional opinion and say it is a "series connected switch"....:D
No matter what anybody else says it could be a "micro switch".:rolleyes:
It could be a secondary switch for "auto-Off" when tape ends or lid is put on.....:eek:
So, I'll stick with my professional opinion!:cool:

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
No matter what anybody else says it could be a "micro switch".:rolleyes:
It could be a secondary switch for "auto-Off" when tape ends or lid is put on.....:eek:

yes it is a microswitch ... the service manual gave that gem. but finding its use took a much deeper delving

and yes it is a tape end / break auto shutoff

from the owners manual ....

auto shutoff.JPG

Dave

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
And if you folks think this reel-to-reel audio tape recorder is complicated, take a close look at a vintage computer reel-to-reel tape drive peripheral with vacuum columns to control tape tension. Those puppies could spin up a nine-inch reel of tape to warp speed in a fraction of a second and then stop it on a dime, going forwards or backwards. And they could do this all day and all night without breaking or stretching the tape! Marvelous piece of technology. The first random-access mass storage technology, albeit a tad slow if the data you needed was on opposite ends of the tape.

The image below was part of a restoration team effort in 2008. Details here.

images

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Dave, thanks for delving! There's another thread (basic stuff) in which I was bemoaning my loss of ... uuh..smarts. Now I feel I've found them again! :p

Chris