Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony reel to reel tape recorder inquiry

madaboutmusic30

Nov 14, 2015
I have a Sony TC-105 reel to reel tape recorder, and I want to know if there is a way for me to transfer material out to another source (CD). I do not see an output jack.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to EP :)

presumably it has an inbuilt speaker ?
if so add a pair of wires from the speaker terminals and bring them out of the units case to a volume control pot
then from there to the line input of your computer
you may want to split the single ( presumably single channel ?) from the reel to reel to both L&R input channels of the computer

If it happens to be a stereo reel to reel, then 2 sets of wires, one from each speaker, to their own volume control pot

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
This link says it was provided with earphones. So logically there should be an earphone jack.
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-105.shtml

Chris

after looking at the schematic of the unit, indeed, there are 2 audio output jacks
one is an extension speaker jack which is switchable
the other is a monitor jack, that outputs at a lower level, and this one can be used to drive an external device
power amplifier or to a computer line input for generating MP3's or wav files

I would still use a volume pot between the 2 units as I suggested above

Dave

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Well, it looks like you two signed up to access the schematic and images.

How wonderful to see and remember a time when manufacturers provided a schematic!
Anyone have a guess as to why S7 & S8 are in series? Is S7 or S8 an enclosure interlock switch?

Chris

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I have a Sony TC-105 reel to reel tape recorder, and I want to know if there is a way for me to transfer material out to another source (CD). I do not see an output jack.
Look closer. There is a speaker jack and a monitor jack located on the left side of the recorder. Also see page 15 of the Owner's Manual.

Attachments

• Page 15 Sony TC-105 Owner's Manual.pdf
    179.7 KB · Views: 140

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Well, it was free... and SPAM is easy to delete if that happens.
It may be easy to delete but I'm already buried in more of it than I can tolerate. But I'm glad you guys did! :)
Look closer. There is a speaker jack and a monitor jack located on the left side of the recorder. Also see page 15 of the Owner's Manual.
BTW, how the hell could the OP miss that? After all he has this thing in his possession! :confused:

Chris

Chris

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... BTW, how the hell could the OP miss that? After all he has this thing in his possession! :confused:
This guy is an end-user and probably not well-versed in electronics. The two outputs are labeled "speaker" and "monitor" not "connect your CD recorder here" or something similarly useful. When this tape deck was popular I don't think CDs had been invented yet.

Many folks who ask questions here seem not to have a clue. It is up to us to help them as succinctly as possible and send them on their way, happy. And if we can somehow also spark an interest in electronics, I count that as a plus.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Anyone have a guess as to why S7 & S8 are in series? Is S7 or S8 an enclosure interlock switch?

Chris

from the schematic info
S7 -- Power On/Off
S8 -- Automatic Shutoff ( its a microswitch)

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Thanks Dave. That explains it.

Chris

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
My guess is that S8 is the Top/hood/cover switch.
Hardly automatic as Dave suggests! One would have to place the lid for it to work!:p

Martin

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
This guy is an end-user and probably not well-versed in electronics. The two outputs are labeled "speaker" and "monitor" not "connect your CD recorder here" or something similarly useful. When this tape deck was popular I don't think CDs had been invented yet.

Many folks who ask questions here seem not to have a clue. It is up to us to help them as succinctly as possible and send them on their way, happy. And if we can somehow also spark an interest in electronics, I count that as a plus.
Hop, when you see me post something like that just assume I've had an above average day of Bicycle vs Automobile combat and they won! Just chalk it up to PTSD and ignore me. ;)

madaboutmusic30, sorry about that! :( Hop is right.

Chris

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hop, when you see me post something like that just assume I've had an above average day of Bicycle vs Grapes combat and they won! Just chalk it up to P###SED and ignore me. ;)

madaboutmusic30, sorry about that! :( Hop is right.

Chris
Uncle Chris. please....:p

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
from the schematic info
S7 -- Power On/Off
S8 -- Automatic Shutoff ( its a microswitch)
My guess is that S8 is the Top/hood/cover switch.
Hardly automatic as Dave suggests! One would have to place the lid for it to work!:p

Martin

I duno. A microswitch could be used for an end of tape shut off too. ;)

Chris