Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony Model #KV-25XBR - an oldie but goodie

Sony guy

Jan 5, 2015
Sony purchased back in 1986 Model #KV-25XBR still has a great picture. Intermittently, when the "on" button is depressed, there is no high voltage sound and no static on the CRT. I have had the back off of it tapping for loose connections, and components. I have looked for swollen Caps, burnt resistors burnt traces, and haven't found any as yet. I have a little tv repair experience but its pretty old. As I write, the tv has been playing through a DVD player.

I would be most appreciative for some help.

Thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

I haven't been able to find technical information on that set. I tried my usual go-to site for service information, elektrotanya.com, and I tried a Google search.

If you can find a service manual, or even just a schematic, post a link to it here and we should be able to help.

Sony guy

Jan 5, 2015
Sony purchased back in 1986 Model #KV-25XBR still has a great picture. Intermittently, when the "on" button is depressed, there is no high voltage sound and no static on the CRT. I have had the back off of it tapping for loose connections, and components. I have looked for swollen Caps, burnt resistors burnt traces, and haven't found any as yet. I have a little tv repair experience but its pretty old. As I write, the tv has been playing through a DVD player.

I would be most appreciative for some help.

Thanks
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

I haven't been able to find technical information on that set. I tried my usual go-to site for service information, elektrotanya.com, and I tried a Google search.

If you can find a service manual, or even just a schematic, post a link to it here and we should be able to help.

I found a download here but, lol it looks like it came off of microfich

https://www.servicemanuals.net/service.aspx

https://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/AllBrands/KV+25XBR/pos1/results.aspx

New details:
I shut my set off and later tried to restart: I got a thunk sound like it was going to start up but no HV. I pushed the power button off and then on again and got the red light on the front but no sound nothing.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
That site charges for manuals. Did you buy one? If so, can you upload it somewhere so I can get it?

Sony guy

Jan 5, 2015
That site charges for manuals. Did you buy one? If so, can you upload it somewhere so I can get it?

Hey KrisBlueNZ goodday mate
yes I did download one.
Ok, I just tried to upload and I got a message that the file is too large; the file is 13.5 Mb. What are my other options?:(

Sony guy

Jan 5, 2015
I have found this site for repair if anyone might be interested in TV and electronics repair.
This guy Humphrey is for real a stand up guy.

http://humphreykimathi.com/ (Nairobi City, Kenya)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sony guy

Jan 5, 2015
Last edited: