Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony DVP-SR200P DVD Player Repair Help

RhesusMonkey

Jun 1, 2016
Hi! I just got a (rather old) DVD player of the model specified in the title, I got it working for the most part but there's an issue in that the screen keeps playing in black and white. I've looked up the Sony guides on this issue and attempted the recommended repair process but it isn't helping. I hope this doesn't mean the DVD player is permanently damaged.

Enclosed is a video demonstrating the issue (audio replaced to avoid copyright infringement):

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Check-over the output of the DVD player with the input to your TV or whatever monitor you're using. There are so many different monitor (or TV) inputs available now, that you have to make sure your monitor is set-up for whatever your input signal from the DVD is.
My dad had a new TV with an old DVD player. The TV was set (in it's menu) for 'composite' input. All he saw on the TV was black and white on the TV from the DVD player. I switched the TV input to 'AV', from 'composite', and he got the color out of his DVD player onto the TV.
You may have to consult the user manuals for your devices, to ensure you're interfacing what you need correctly.

RhesusMonkey

Jun 1, 2016
Check-over the output of the DVD player with the input to your TV or whatever monitor you're using. There are so many different monitor (or TV) inputs available now, that you have to make sure your monitor is set-up for whatever your input signal from the DVD is.
My dad had a new TV with an old DVD player. The TV was set (in it's menu) for 'composite' input. All he saw on the TV was black and white on the TV from the DVD player. I switched the TV input to 'AV', from 'composite', and he got the color out of his DVD player onto the TV.
You may have to consult the user manuals for your devices, to ensure you're interfacing what you need correctly.

That's the very first thing I tried but no combination of inputs seems to correct this.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you're absolutely sure that the TV or monitor is set-up for the input you're producing (and you've checked that the
TV or monitor displays color using other devices), then I would assume you have a component problem inside the DVD player itself.
I know you feel certain it's not an interface problem, but I've found that sometimes I ASSUME something, without actually fully checking it. If I were in your place, I'd step back and re-evaluate everything. The DVD player probably has a signal out with no color/monochrome switch(?) Is the DVD player lens clean (they sell discs for this).
Have you attempted to use the TV menu to verify that you've tried all the possible input signal selections?
Are you using the correct cable and cable input in the correct connector from the DVD player to the TV/monitor?
I don't mean to belabor the point, but the interface and menu selections are so numerous now that it's easy to miss
something there.
If all else fails, like I said, I'd then suspect the DVD player itself.