Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SONY deceives every Taiwanese consumer for buying SONY AZ1VR/W Action Camera !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilary

Mar 31, 2015
Hello,

I just signed the petition, "Demanding a refund to SONY!!!."

I think this is important, because SONY cheats.

Please also help to sign the petition if you also think SONY should handle this case well.

Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/sony-demanding-a-refund

I am a diving beginner and really love this sport. Last November I bought a SONY AZ1VR/W Action Cam Mini Kit.
I did a lot of homework on comparing and studying this camcorder and Gopro.
Finally, I chose SONY to be my first camcorder for future diving adventure.
At first, I tried twice to record some segments under water and they were all blurred.
I thought that was my problem with unfamiliar shooting skill.
However, I found some same comments on Mobile 01 Forum (a Taiwanese forum about 3C products), so I checked the SONY Taiwan and USA official websites again and they indeed only shows it is waterproof, also can work within 5m under water, but without indicating AZ1VR CANNOT focus in under water, that misdirected me to believe AZ1VR was able to record a clear video in the water.
So I contacted with SONY customer service in Taiwan and pointed out this problem.
I couldn't believe they dropped me an email only said 'Due to AZ1VR can't focus in the water, therefore it is not suitable for recording under water. Please read the product instruction manual and we are not allowed to return or replace the goods (由於相機無法在水中對焦,因此不適合拍攝水底影像,詳細資訊請您參考產品說明書內〝關於防水殼的防水效能〞該頁內容,恕無法提供退貨服務).
How could SONY reply with the same content that I wanted to ask them?
How could SONY draw a conclusion without really taking care of this issue?
I was really mad and called to SONY customer service, the operator couldn’t be more ridiculous to reply that some people may need the blurred effect when they record something in the water.
If you buy a camcorder and want to shoot anything under water, will you expect to see the blurred videos?
The thing makes me irater is after they received my complaint, they sneakingly updated Taiwanese website right away, fortunately I saved all previous web pages .
I am very upset about SONY concealing their product information to mislead consumers, that should make public to consumers in the beginning and also take such bad action just want to get rid of their customer.
I won’t just forget about it instead of buying another cam and give up my right!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I hate to tell you this, but a camera designed to be used in air will not focus under water because the water changes the power of the lens. To use such a camera underwater, you need a water tight enclosure so that the lens is actually in air. Claiming that it is waterproof means that it will not be damaged if it falls in the water, not that it will record video underwater.

Bob

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I hate to tell you this, but a camera designed to be used in air will not focus under water because the water changes the power of the lens. To use such a camera underwater, you need a water tight enclosure so that the lens is actually in air. Claiming that it is waterproof means that it will not be damaged if it falls in the water, not that it will record video underwater.

Bob
Good point Bob.
The GoPro cameras take care of this, as the waterproof enclosure allows the actual camera lens to be in air. I also have a Fuji camera that is waterproof, and it takes decent underwater pictures... but again, the design allows for it. It's meant for underwater use, so it has a flat lens in front of the actual camera lens to provide a pocket of air within the camera. This pocket allows the camera's lens to operate correctly.
Wear goggles underwater, then take the goggles off and see how clear your bare-eyes can see in the water. This is what is very likely happening.
Take a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index
It's unfortunate, but as bob mentioned, just because it's waterproof does not mean that is it's intended purpose.
Heck, I have a drop proof camera (up to 5-ft) but I won't intentionally drop it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hilary

Mar 31, 2015

Bob

HI Bob,
I am happy to see someone's comment here~!
Oh my , did I misunderstand the readers when I was editing the petition?:(
I bought this cam with a kit which includes of a watertight enclosure as the attached photo , and SONY states this cam can shoot and record in 5 meters under water in the Taiwanese official website. My point is SONY states so, however it's not able to focus on any objects in the water actually, then how can SONY state it can be used in the water? That misleads us to think it can record a clear video in the water. If this cam can't focus under water, it has no ability for shooting under water too.

Attachments

• watertight enclosure.JPG
    watertight enclosure.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 105

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
HI Bob,
I am happy to see someone's comment here~!
Oh my , did I misunderstand the readers when I was editing the petition?:(
I bought this cam with a kit which includes of a watertight enclosure as the attached photo , and SONY states this cam can shoot and record in 5 meters under water in the Taiwanese official website. My point is SONY states so, however it's not able to focus on any objects in the water actually, then how can SONY state it can be used in the water? That misleads us to think it can record a clear video in the water. If this cam can't focus under water, it has no ability for shooting under water too.
Well, that's what happens when you miss details in your post. People make assumptions.
Do you have a sample video/picture, how far away was the subject, does the camera focus correctly out of the water while it is inside the water-proof housing?
This is a support forum, not a complaints hotline

Hilary

Mar 31, 2015
Well, that's what happens when you miss details in your post. People make assumptions.
Do you have a sample video/picture, how far away was the subject, does the camera focus correctly out of the water while it is inside the water-proof housing?
This is a support forum, not a complaints hotline

Hi Bob,
I am sorry and I don't want to complaints here.
Just want SONY gives a positive response.
I don't have a video in hand, but you can see a video record by SONY AZ1VR/W from the below link:

That's why I feel so upset about this cam.
Thank you for telling me should not post this here.
I will forward this article to the consumer support or relative websites.

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi Bob,
I am sorry and I don't want to complaints here.
Just want SONY gives a positive response.
I will record a sample video for reference!
And post to a consumer support website or forum to keep on my petition.
Thank you for your feedback!
I am not Bob, I am Gryd3, as the name in the quote and the name above my picture indicates.
I had made the complaint comment, because other than asking questions or working out the problem, this entire thread is dedicated to a petition you have setup due to a poor experience with Sony. The nature of this thread is a complaint, and asking others to help help back your complaint.
While I agree whole-heartedly that consumers need to stand up for themselves I don't feel that 3rd party forums are a way of doing so.

Personally, I don't trust Sony when it comes to online accounts and security, but I honestly love their TV and phones so far and the few problems I have had have been very quickly resolved. Heck, I got a free upgrade on my TV to a newer nicer model because a couple of parts were not immediately available. I have a bias. I have been looked after, and customers make mistakes. If there was that much of an issues that a camera bundled with an underwater enclosure does not work under water that would surprise me very much.
If you are taking sample images, make sure you have not altered any settings related to zoom. (This could be accidentally setting macro mode...)
If you record a video, take one continuous shot and submerge the camera so we can see how it behaves.

*note that even cameras specifically designated for land use can take excellent under-water photos inside an enclosure.
I suspect a faulty lens on the enclosure, or some bad user controlled settings on the camera.

Hilary

Mar 31, 2015
I really want to take this personal or go through the judicial process,
but in Taiwan it will really take money and time flight this big company.
Sony's customer service doesn't give a glance of this case.
I feel helpless, that's why I start a petition in change.org :(

I am not Bob, I am Gryd3, as the name in the quote and the name above my picture indicates.
I had made the complaint comment, because other than asking questions or working out the problem, this entire thread is dedicated to a petition you have setup due to a poor experience with Sony. The nature of this thread is a complaint, and asking others to help help back your complaint.
While I agree whole-heartedly that consumers need to stand up for themselves I don't feel that 3rd party forums are a way of doing so.

Personally, I don't trust Sony when it comes to online accounts and security, but I honestly love their TV and phones so far and the few problems I have had have been very quickly resolved. Heck, I got a free upgrade on my TV to a newer nicer model because a couple of parts were not immediately available. I have a bias. I have been looked after, and customers make mistakes. If there was that much of an issues that a camera bundled with an underwater enclosure does not work under water that would surprise me very much.
If you are taking sample images, make sure you have not altered any settings related to zoom. (This could be accidentally setting macro mode...)
If you record a video, take one continuous shot and submerge the camera so we can see how it behaves.

*note that even cameras specifically designated for land use can take excellent under-water photos inside an enclosure.
I suspect a faulty lens on the enclosure, or some bad user controlled settings on the camera.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Hilary
I think we will leave this thread where it is and close it
its not a problem that a forum can solve for you

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.