Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony Camcorder CCD-V8AF - repair

Jacques au Québec

Jan 18, 2017
I have many tapes Video 8 format that I shot since 1985 (year I got the Camcorder). I am unable to fully view the tapes because the tape does not turn properly while inserted in the machine. The cover opens well, the tape fits well and the cover closed well. When I start the play, it may run for a few seconds or even one minute while I see the picture in the viewfinder. However, after these few seconds, the tape stops and the eject light flashes. When I eject, the tape comes out with part of the ribbon remaining loose. I am not knowledgeable in electronic, but I am willing to try to fix it in order to recuperate my families' souvenirs. Jacques

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Somebody more knowledgeable in camcorders might add to my input, I'm not familiar with the camera itself.
On most tape players it's the capstan motor that actually pulls the tape to load it, and it could be bad, or the
circuit that controls the motor could have gone bad.
Sony won't support something that old. You might check on-line to see if any company will service that unit
by telling them the Manufacturer and Model number (Google Sony and the Model number and see if you get
any hits that might help). Finding parts for something that old will be the problem.
Considering that you want to save the movies, my suggestion is to fix the camcorder you have and then
transfer everything onto DVD to save it. Or look on ebay for a working camcorder that you can use to
then transfer your family souvenirs.
Good luck with this.