Connect with us

Something small and loud needed.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by HarryA, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. HarryA

HarryA

Jan 22, 2017
    Greetings from wet Penn's woods,

I need something to run down a 1.5" pvc basement drain (it starts with a 90 degree L)
    that makes a loud sound so I can find the end of the drain.

I can run 24 feet of romex cable out the drain until I hit an obstruction.
    I am thinking that I could connect something loud to the leading end of the cable out to
    the obstruction. I could power it via the cable if necessary. I would need to waterproof it also.

If I could hear it underground then I would know where to dig to the drain.

thanks

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Get a ferret transmitter.:)

I have made an oscillator using a 4093 in a 35mm film container. This is not waterproof.. I have connected it to an underground cable and followed it with a medium wave radio.

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    You could borrow my wife - but delivery costs might add up.......

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir HarryA . . . . .

I'm needing more info, in comprehending the whole drain system.

So we have this rather small 1 1/2 inch drain *** in the floor that goes . . .how far down . . . before it then connects to a right angle elbow and then it routes away on the level (how far below the surface ground level, is this level run ? )
    Seems ? like this might be 10 ft or more below ground level . . . if being the drain on a floor of a basement .

*** I only have a 4 inch sewage / waste water drain and a 3/4 in condensate drain for my central air conditioning evaporator plus an emergency 3/4 water heater discharge line . . .no 1 1/2 inch sizes ?

This "clogged condition" occurs at about 24 feet from the elbow.
    Then how much further past the "clog" does it run before reaching the sewage line or septic tank or drainage field ?

And I bet that is a challenge in getting that Romex to make the 90 degree bend and the friction that it encounters
    in having to continually make new conforming bends and then straightening on the Romex as it is fed.
    (Unless you are continually applying goober loober onto it )

PITY that you don't have a straight shot at the length of drain PAST that 90 degree elbow , with an electricians
    snake . . . .with its tempered steel . . . . a continual ramming of that end into the "clog" probably would break it up.
    OR you could rent a 25 ft PLUS plumbers motorized flexible snake and its spring wired ball end with its sharpened barb, should do a number upon your clog in ripping into it and breaking it up.

What say ye . . . .

73's de Edd

Richard9025 likes this.
  5. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    Depending on how deep your pipe is buried, you may need to use a low frequency transmitter, such as those used in cave exploration communications.
    Somewhere in my pile of old hobbyist magazines, there is such a circuit....

Ask a Question