Connect with us

Some Transistor Troubles

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SB0202022, Nov 15, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SB0202022

SB0202022

Oct 27, 2010
    So i have been in this field of science for about a month now, and i really like it! i searched some books, remembered the components, did some math attempted to build some circuits from a book, and many other attempts on various things.

But there is one problem i have been facing... the transistor! It still baffles me, i understand it can be an amplifier, but how so? when it amplifies the current, do it take more wattage from the battery? can you amplify the current to ungodly levels? As to summarize my question, I ask, what are the limitations of a transistor, how does it work exactly, and how does it fit into all forms of circuitry? (Such as a simple timer circuit, to a computer processor...)

Thank you for reading my question!

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    to put it really basically a transistor doesnt amplify anything
    a small current flowing through the Base / Emitter junction allows a larger current to flow
    through the Collector / Emitter junction. It gives the impression of amplifying, but really all you
    are doing is controlling the flow of a Collector current
    Different transistors are designed with different voltage and current ratings
    others are designed for RF (Radio Freq operations)
    FET's are another variation but the basic principal is the same

There are some good transistor tutorial on the net, do some googling
    Others here may want to expand on my basic idea :)

The transistor also makes a very good on/off switch :)

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question