Connect with us

some kind a coil???

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Geronimo, Nov 25, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    Hi everybody, I'm taking apart a power supply and I came across a part I
    that doesn't look familiar to me.. It consist of two coils one for each
    wire. It's supplied with 220V alternating current and puts 220V alternating
    current.... What can this be and what's it's function in my circuit board.
    It's mounted between the power from the grid and a tranformer 220V --> 24V.

    Greetz Geronimo ( [-})
  2. Sounds like a common mode choke. They have two isolated coils on the
    same, ungapped core. The line current passing in through one winding
    and out through the other produce canceling magnetic fields, so the
    core does not saturate from the load current. But if any common
    voltage spike (same polarity on both lines) tries to get through, the
    inductance is very high, as these signals produce adding magnetic
    fields. This prevents much high frequency current entering (or
    exiting) the supply from common mode, high frequency voltages.
  3. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    Okay, I'm kind a new in electronics so I have got a lot to learn yet. I
    tried to find the part in my books but couldn't find it. So the part is quit
    common is it? Thanx for the explanation...

  4. Quite. Getting the right mane is often most of the battle for

    Go to Digikey
    and do a search for "common mode".
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day