Connect with us

Solve the riddle and get a piece of test equipment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by Jotto, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    I am noble and depressed,
    and nothing in the middle.

What am I?

This is going to be a contest for me to give away some of my test equipment. Solve the riddle and you just pay freight for the equipment. I am the one writing the riddles so you won't have advantage online with it.

First item will be a digital multimeter, sencore dm501.

A riddle uses parrellelism, antithesis, and another one I can't remember how to spell.
    There are no hard and fast rules to this, its up to author.

Like this one

I am a unyielding balderdash with a fish-tailed butte.

This is one I wrote ....

unyielding/yielding = tenacious I used a opposite word here
    Balderdash = BS = bull
    fish-tailed = wagging
    butte = butt

So I am a tenacious bulldog with a wagging tail.

They will get much harder then the one above. Of course the equipment will be increasing also.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    An on-off switch?
    (I'm not in this for gear, just entertainment)

3. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Good try, but no. Remember this is a riddle, not all words mean what they say, but some do.

4. rjamjb

rjamjb

Jan 19, 2013
    A flat tyre??

Just a guess

5. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    My first thoughts are either a momentary switch noble (returning to its original state) and depressed (its second state) nothing in the middle (its just that on or off)

-OR-

a negative helium ion atom, Noble gas, depressed (negative), nothing in the middle doesn't fit very well but helium is very light

6. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Its not a switch.

To the one with a guess i am taking as blank, I, in return give you a blank look.

7. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    My guess is plain old Helium but it could be a Neon lamp such as an NE-2.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Sorry its not helium or neon lamp, but a bit of information on a neon lamp is that you can use it to see if something is transmitting RF.

Which soon I will no longer think about and will just be wasted information in my head. Ohhh, how good retirement is looking.

I will be moving to another country to retire, but still keep my place here or at least my citizenship.

Come on folks, this is the cheap stuff starting here. Lets get this one done so I can do a fluke digital meter scope.

If you decide to say "I give up", I will show it. But don't give up. I just solved a riddle that was 100 times harder then this. I might not be completely done, I have to see if there is a cipher, but I am on the last step. wooohoooo.

LIfe is great.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A spark gap?

10. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A golden ring?

11. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    No, and no.

I will give a hint, it does have something to do with electronic. So I give you a hint and now you must give me something. Everyone only gets one chance, that is what I get. One will get this in time.

everyone before this post gets another guess.

You can't do a person that has just joined the group. Or a person that has a start date of 10 Feb 2013 to present

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Is it a gold plated through hole?

I don't need a meter. I'm just warming up for the big stuff.

13. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Is it Marquis de Sade? I am not the one who should be researching, totally unfair. Turning the tables, hmmmm, hope it was a round table, square might end up hurting me.

and Thurman C. Everts was of unsavory character, they would have made great bedfellows.

No gold hole.

Do I have to tell the truth in a riddle? Look for a lie, misinformation. Of course my riddle is easy for me, its just a little harder for you.

14. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    My (allowed) second guess:

"noble" is literal and means a noble metal, like gold (I like to stick with that).
    "depressed" - you may be going for the opposite here: not depressed but bulging, like a basecap.
    "nothing in the middle": just the gold and the cap which make for a "goldcap".

If I'm wrong, at least the reasoning is sound, isn't it?

Oh, and I wouldn't need that meter neither. Shipping to Germany may turn out prohibitively costly anyway.

15. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    Any attempt is a great attempt. You see I am really a doctor doing a case study in the affects of alzheimers on the aging population, with doing a riddle a day to keep your mind healthy. Of course this will only work for the half that is doing the riddles, the other half will probably forget they were part of the study, so you will have to remind them.

Not a goldcap, but excellent try.

Darn, I am now a senior citizen.

16. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Well heck, no wonder I got it wrong. I'm already past the alzheimers stage.
    Does this qualify as abuse of my handicap?

17. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    You're me!!!

18. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Only insomuch as once faced with the answer, the clues make it look obvious.

I hope not. But a alternative or unusual meaning of the words, or a left field description is OK.

As it should be.

19. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    i'm stuck on a noble element which is blue(depressed)..... I would google it but my mind is fried just getting that far lol

20. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    oh stuff it is it a gold plate capacitor?
    gold is noble
    capacitors are blue(depressed) and other colours
    there is nothing between their plates

Ask a Question