Connect with us

solution to soft start an ac induction motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jackorocko, Aug 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    Just as the title of the thread ask, I am wondering what type of solutions I have for soft starting a 120v ac induction motor with starter coil and capacitor start? It is a 1HP. This is on a lathe so I would like to stick to 120V to avoid any extra external electronic motor controllers needed to control the direction of rotation with a drum switch.

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I have used a resistor, shorted out with a relay after about a second.
    The resistor needs to be a few ohms and many watts.
    The timing can be done with a rectifier, resistor and capacitor.

I do not see how this will work with a direction switch, perhaps a current transformer could be used to reset the relay.

3. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    I had the same thought using a resistor. I was really hoping they made something like a soft start capacitor, but as you say changing direction causes an issue because it would work in one direction and be totally negated in the opposite direction.

Oh well, seems I might have to bide my time until I can stumble upon a 3 phase motor.

4. Y2KEDDIE

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
    Running on 220VAC is allways better if you can.

If you can find a 1 HP three phase motor; MC Master Carr carries a nice little electronic converter.page 869, Catalog 116: Three Phase AC Motor Speeed Controller. This unit is small, 4.5" x 6.9" x 4.4". Its variable and has reversing.

5. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Commect a 120VAC light bulb in series with the 120VAC motor.

The lower the bulb wattage, the lower the motor speed. Want more speed, choose a larger wattage bulb.
    Relays or switches bringing the bulb(s) into/out the circuit can do a pretty and simple speed controlling.

Ask a Question