Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solid state solution advice

Capofarukgb

Mar 7, 2017
So good evening everyone, I have this project I'm pondering with it consists of three elec/mech relays and some diods all 12v dc for automotive application
I wish to adopt it to a solid state solution, I'm out of touch a little done electronics at uni but that was many years ago lol
Was thinking something like using jk flip flop or may even consider advance chips depending on price ofcourse
Any decent advice would be a great help
Here is the project

Auto folding mirror for discovery 2 with lock unlock remot button
Diagram attached as image
Relays from left to right:

1) Blocks the modification from working when the ignition is on, this prevents the mirrors folding if you lock the doors while in motion or if the auto lock (above 5mph) is turned on.

2) Provides a live feed to the ignition pin on the mirror ECU to "wake it up".

3) Mimics the action of the dashboard button to fold/unfold the mirrors.

The two diodes at the top are to prevent a short between the two central locking wires (one is unlock, other is lock)

The diode at the bottom is to block the feed from relay (2) so that the rest of the ignition circuit is not switched on for the duration of the central locking pulse.
I

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170307-211034.png
    Screenshot_20170307-211034.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 53

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
I have been thinking about doing this to the wife's new Toyota.

Do you have a single normally open momentary fold switch that does both fold and unfold?

Have you checked that the door lock outputs are positive for both lock and unlock?

How long do the door locks keep this output live?

Relay 2 will only keep ignition on the ECU whilst the door lock output is active.

Will the ECU still operate if it loses ignition feed while the mirrors are folding?

Capofarukgb

Mar 7, 2017
I have been thinking about doing this to the wife's new Toyota.

Do you have a single normally open momentary fold switch that does both fold and unfold? NO SWITCH YES AND YES

Have you checked that the door lock outputs are positive for both lock and unlock? POSITVE YES AND YES

How long do the door locks keep this output live? I BELIEVE ABOUT 30SECS AFTER LOCKING WITH FOB SO MIRRORS WILL FOLD WHEN LOCKED WITH FOB TOO

Relay 2 will only keep ignition on the ECU whilst the door lock output is active. See NUMBER TWO RELAY WHICH FEEDS A LIVE FEED TO ECU TO WAKE IT UP
Will the ECU still operate if it loses ignition feed while the mirrors are folding?
AS ABOVE
Hi kiwi I think most of your questions are already answered in my original post
See above
Please note this is working tried and tested module but it's bulky and obviously noisy due to relays I prefer a solid state also to satisfy a piece of mind
It's been puzzling me in how to do it in solid state using mc
Please let me know if I have missed anything thanks

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Not counting the coil current of another relay, are any of the relays controlling significant power, such as more than 1 A?
What does N/S/F stand for?

ak

Capofarukgb

Mar 7, 2017
Not counting the coil current of another relay, are any of the relays controlling significant power, such as more than 1 A?
What does N/S/F stand for?

ak
No not that much at all and NSF is a driving term here in the UK relates to near side front of a car or the kerb side or passenger side bearing in mind we drive on left so it's left hand side of the vehicle

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Would 1 A transistors, such as a TIP29/30 be safely overrated for this application?

ak

Capofarukgb

Mar 7, 2017
Would 1 A transistors, such as a TIP29/30 be safely overrated for this application?

ak
I guess it would be fine to use it since it's only a momentary live circuit and otherwise asleep, what do you have in mind ?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Long-term, I've found that bipolar power transistors are more reliable then power MOSFETs in 1-off automotive projects. The TIP29 and TIP30 are complimentary bipolar power transistors rated for 1 A collector current, and make excellent low-current power switches. If the peak current being handled is over 0.5 A, move up to the TIP31/32.

ak

Capofarukgb

Mar 7, 2017
Long-term, I've found that bipolar power transistors are more reliable then power MOSFETs in 1-off automotive projects. The TIP29 and TIP30 are complimentary bipolar power transistors rated for 1 A collector current, and make excellent low-current power switches. If the peak current being handled is over 0.5 A, move up to the TIP31/32.

ak
Sweet, it's perfect but any chance helping me with convertingthe wiring diagram to using transistors instead ?