Connect with us

Solenoids

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Paulsde, Aug 6, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Paulsde

Paulsde

Aug 6, 2010
    Would anybody help me with a quick query. I have some solenoid valves 24vdc they are energized 24/7. After they were fitted for a few days I noticed they were getting hot I have tried asking the company they were supplied from but didnt get any reply.

I understand that there will be some heat but will they burn out on a regular basis? Is this healthy for them? Do I need to be concerned?

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks alot.

2. trobbins

trobbins

Jun 15, 2010
    I suggest the solenoid is rated for the job if you have 24VDC on them. They sometimes have a small range of rated voltage - so look at the specs if for example you are operating at say 26V.

Coil insulation and formers can be rated for (what you may feel are) high temperatures - well in excess of 100C. That said - if the coil is available for easy touching on the outside of equipment then it will need to have a relatively low touch temperature (due to other standards).

Your sense of touch can be very decieving as to what is 'hot' in a human sense, compared to an electronic part sense.

Ciao, Tim

3. Paulsde

Paulsde

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for that advice, I am going to try and get some more info on the coils we are using. I will also find a more accurate way to measure the temperature instead of touch, a friend of mine said I could borough his infra thermometer. This will l probably get me started in the right direction.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

4. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Some solenoids are rated for intermittent duty, some for continuous duty. What is the manufacturer and model # of you solenoid?

Ken

5. Paulsde

Paulsde

Aug 6, 2010
    Berkert 179762 24vdc coil. I didnt realise that was the case.

Ask a Question