Connect with us

Solenoid Coupling for Modular Transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Raven Luni, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I had the idea of making a 'modular transformer' by making a set of solenoids each with various different wire gagues, number of turns, tap configurations etc. all with ferrite cores. I should be able to couple these by putting the cores end to end right?

A pair of them at a time that is - not one big thing (coz that would be a disaster)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Or what if I placed them side by side with ferromagnetic clamps at each end for a closed field - or even bar magnets (that would be great for holding things together easily). Would the magnets interfere with the field?

Hmm - would a permanent magnetic field allow flux in one direction and oppose the other? A flux diode? (next step - flux capacitor :D). A flux transistor!! OOOOOOOoohhhhh :eek:

Someone debunk all this before I get carried away :p

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Oooh! Oooh!! Diamagnetic in place of dielectric! FLUX CAPACITOR! :D

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You've been into the Scotch tonight, haven't you? :D

5. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Anyway, back to the modular transformer. It would be a handy thing to test with since you could just swap out each of the windings rather than having to make a whole transformer every time. What would be the difference between having the solenoids end to end and side by side with poles connected and what would be the effect of using permanent magnets to connect the poles?

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    It's a very good idea for experiments etc.
    Windings side-by-side will result in a slightly larger leakage inductance compared to a layer wound transformer, but CCFL transformers are wound this way.
    Magnets may put the core into saturation (even before current is applied).
    It's not a good idea unless it's done carefully to neutralize a DC current, allowing twice as high currents than normal to flow before saturation is reached.

Ask a Question