Connect with us

Solenoid controller

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jimdups, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Jimdups

Jimdups

Nov 25, 2014
    I am trying to use a solenoid and I need it to activate quickly but release the voltage in a ramp. I would like the circuit to read the current and release to a specific point then reactivate the solenoid.

I believe the circuit will need a micro-controller but am not sure of the actual drive circuitry to the solenoid.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

I'm sure we will be able to help, but you need to tell us the background on your project. So start from the beginning, tell us about the overall project, what you want to achieve, what parts you already have (or have chosen), and anything else that will help us understand what you want to do.

3. Jimdups

Jimdups

Nov 25, 2014
    The plunger in the solenoid creates a pull on a spring actuated metal shaft that actuates a device, I need the device to gradually release and hoped to do so using the power to the solenoid.

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Actuates a "device"? Why so vague? Is your project a secret or something?

5. Jimdups

Jimdups

Nov 25, 2014
    The application is patent related to a larger project

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you need to be this vague, then perhaps you should hire someone to help you with this rather than getting free help.
    You don't have to give away the whole picture, but in order to get help... sorry, in order to get useful help, you should be as detailed as possible.

Things that would help for this application would be things like required force, distance travelled. How you want that force to taper off as the device 'releases'.
    Like I said, you don't have to tell us you are using it to push a plumbticker into a whositz...
    So far though, I'm thinking you may need to go to a pneumatic device. Or a some kind of geared linear actuator but you have not told us enough to know if you need fast actuation in either direction. If the returning direction will gradually reduce in in force, or grandually retract.... details please!

ADRT and Bluejets like this.
  7. ADRT

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
    Use a small servo motor instead. You will still need a micrco-controller.

Bluejets likes this.
  8. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Solenoids are not meant to operate in this fashion, they are just on-off devices.
    Leave the de-activation too long will cook the coil eventually.

AlenZGB and ADRT like this.
Ask a Question