Connect with us

Soldering.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by josesaucedo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. josesaucedo

josesaucedo

Nov 10, 2010
    Good morning folks. Im new in this forum as well in this field. Im electrician and have to tell that I dont know that much about electronics, just the basic class I took in college as part of my electrician program. Anyway, I have a question about soldering. I have an amplifier that I needed to change a pot, so I got a newone and changed it out, but the amplifier did not work. Is it possible I damaged the pot with the heat of my soldering iron? thats basically my question. Thank you.

2. carebare47

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
    Might be worth checking if any of the contacts on the board have broken. And what wattage/temperature is your soldering iron? It is possible to have damaged the potentiometer with too much heat, I recommend checking it with a multimeter.

=)

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you can give us a picture of your work and describe the symptoms both before and after your attempted fix, we may be able to suggest something more.

4. josesaucedo

josesaucedo

Nov 10, 2010
    Thank you.
    I have attached a picture of the board I changed the pot from. The pot in the black border shape and also I was thinking about the other component in the red shape that I might had damaged that too with the soldering iron.

Thank you again.

Attached Files:

5. carebare47

carebare47

Oct 21, 2010
    Could you tell us the temperature/wattage of your soldering iron?

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    More important might be to see the other side of the board.

Let's see the soldering :)

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yeah, a nice clear closeup, and also of the old pot(s) you took out (if you haven't thrown it away already). Might be some clues there too.

Ask a Question