Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering through parylene

Jaxy1

Sep 14, 2018
I've read parylene can be soldered through. I know it is suggested that a very high quality soldering iron under a vacuum hood should be used for these purposes. I am aware of the consequences to the coating and perhaps the assembly itself if appropriate care is not taken. Has anyone personally had any experience soldering through parylene in terms of coating removal or assembly repair?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Perhaps ask the manufacturer?
Don't know anyone that would do a test on the protective coating to determine what it was before doing a solder repair or whatever.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Their website states it has poor resistance to abrasion. Scrape it off the repair area the best you can. I'd try with an X-acto knife blade (depending on what it is).

If you have a temperature controlled soldering station then you could also test the burn off temperature in an unimportant area on the PCB, whether the temperature and time needed is high enough to damage components if you try to use soldering iron heat to ignore it, to work as if it wasn't there.

You might want a combination of the two, scraping away as much as possible, then a little higher soldering iron temperature than you'd normally use.

What are you trying to solder?