Maker Pro
Maker Pro

soldering small SMT resistors, capacitors and transistors, I can't get them flat

danny davis

May 9, 2012
yes, most don't have hot air guns at all or solder wick believe it or not

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Where are you located? (country would be fine I guess)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
yes, most don't have hot air guns at all or solder wick believe it or not

I don't believe it, they are the basic tools the the trade that any legit shop should have if that is their business... That is unless it's a subcontracted position that requires you provide all your own tools and equipment... It's like applying at a burger joint and having to bring your own grill and spatula to the interview...

Why do you need cordless tools, do they not have wall outlets as well?

danny davis

May 9, 2012
usa cali

I want something cordless because I can carry it in my bag plus those hot air guns are really big to carry to a job interview

I been many job interviews and they don't have hot air guns or solder wick

Yes most businesses around my area are not legit anymore

They don't even have any tools at all period when you even start the job
I have to bring in my own , they are so cheap

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I want something cordless because I can carry it in my bag plus those hot air guns are really big to carry to a job interview

Get a small one... You are not stripping paint, or shrink wrapping a boat you are removing and placing small components...

I been many job interviews and they don't have hot air guns or solder wick

3 days ago when you posted this thread you appeared not to have a clue what solder wick was used for or how to use it properly now you proclaim to have been to many job interviews that don't have it to start with?

Can we please just cut to the chase, and drop the smoke and mirrors? You appear to be VERY inexperienced in this field as a whole, but you continue to insist and pretend you know much more than you clearly actually know... All the while you insist the people like me (and others that have replied) that have been there and have done this work professionally and as a serious hobby are wrong or don't understand the problems you are having...

Yes most businesses around my area are not legit anymore

Um, OK... Again I'm not buying it...

They don't even have any tools at all period when you even start the job
I have to bring in my own , they are so cheap

If you believe this to be the case, time to invest in a complete workshop worth of tools so that you can emphasize your ability to supply your entire work station at the interviews...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Don't get so mad
I never said i was experienced or had knowledge in the area

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Don't get so mad
I never said i was experienced or had knowledge in the area

I'm not mad, far from it... You simply need to take several steps back and learn to crawl before you attempt to run... You need much more schooling and/or experiences right now, not pretending to be an experienced (or even ready for employment) employee looking for a job in electronics repair...

Find someone local (or a local business) that will take you under their wing and teach you, or go back to school and at least get some foundation under your feet and experience...

Last edited:

danny davis

May 9, 2012
There is no school around my area that teaches microelectronics or how to solder under a microscope dealing with SMT or fine pitch. The schools don't have the money they said that's why they have closed down their electronics departments down.

I have called almost every school in a 75 mile radius and no one offers it at all

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So what is it that you actually want to do?

You can learn to solder all by yourself.

There's no need for microscopes. As long as you have normal vision you probably won't even need a magnifier. If you're a bit short sighted, even better!

Learn through-hole soldering first. Get a reasonable temperature controlled soldering iron (they're not expensive) and buy some kits. Put them together and get someone who knows how to solder to critique your work.

You can probably work up from there to MD work with a regular iron. It may seem almost impossible at first. I remember when I thought 1206 resistors were too small to practically handle. These days I look at them and wonder why I ever used components so large. Some devices I have have 8 pins in the same size package as these (and there are many that are even smaller)

Practice, practice, practice.

However I'm not sure how many job opportunities there are for people who can simply solder... An electrical engineering degree would be a great start, but it may not be something you can pursue.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There is no school around my area that teaches microelectronics or how to solder under a microscope dealing with SMT or fine pitch. The schools don't have the money they said that's why they have closed down their electronics departments down.

I have called almost every school in a 75 mile radius and no one offers it at all

And once again you counter with excuses on why it can't be done rather than actually try, we can't help you if you are not willing to help yourself... Maybe it's time you move, if electronics are in your future...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
What is the best temp range on the soldering iron to do SMT , through hole, fine pitch?

I have mine set at 600 F right in the middle

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
What is the best temp range on the soldering iron to do SMT , through hole, fine pitch?

I have mine set at 600 F right in the middle

You already asked this same question in this very same thread and it was already answered... Again I ask are you even reading the replies? :confused:

danny davis

May 9, 2012
sorry i didn't get it and I don't know if it is the same for SMT, fine pitch and through hole

Because I have mine set at 600F and it lifts the pads up

With through hole I RIPE the pads on both sides because the leg/pin of the chip get stuck while I'm soldering

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
sorry i didn't get it and I don't know if it is the same for SMT, fine pitch and through hole

Because I have mine set at 600F and it lifts the pads up

With through hole I RIPE the pads on both sides because the leg/pin of the chip get stuck while I'm soldering

Go back and re-read the thread... Again I ask are you even reading the replies?