Connect with us

Soldering Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BC8978, Apr 18, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BC8978

BC8978

Apr 18, 2016
    Hello All,

I am new to the forums and was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction improving my soldering. Recently took on a job for my friend soldering speaker terminals many very large pcbs... not the typical smd soldering I am used to. See attached pictures.

Currently I assemble the terminals, then put a dab of flux on each pin. It takes about 5 seconds with a 140 watt weller iron on each pad before I feed solder. The iron gets dirty quickly and takes some pressure to transfer heat. With the number of terminals I can easily spend 30 minutes on each board. I would like to get this process refined to quicken the process and have a little more consistency in my joints. Spend a quite a bit of time searching the internet for guides on soldering larger components for a a more production setting but it seems all to relate to small IC's. Looking at options such as board heater and a paste that needs to be heated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brandon

Attached Files:

2. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a link of your iron and tip that you are currently using. I suspect that it is too small a surface area to rapidly transfer the heat to those larger pins. Some solder paste, fine solder and a hoof tip is what I use, even for bigger tabs, as fast as I can feed the solder, the joint forms. ;-)

3. BC8978

BC8978

Apr 18, 2016
    See attatched

Attached Files:

4. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    That is a soldering gun, not an iron. I do not think that it can give you the control you need. The dirty tip is probably a result of initially too high of a temperature and the flux burning off leaving behind residue, while the iron does not have a high enough thermal reserve and thus can not keep up, hence you press harder.

I would look at something like this if it is in your budget. I use mine and it is a dream compared to some of the poorer quality irons I have used in the past.

hevans1944 likes this.
  5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    I agree with chopnhack. Those guns you refer to are just plain rubbish.
    Used one once as a matter of "have-to" and I can tell you with a 1 metre lead you can hurl them more than 50 metres.
    You need something with a decent head to hold heat.
    By the look of the boards you are soldering to, they will suck away heat at a high rate leaving you with nothing for the soldered joint.
    Trick is to get a large amount of heat in quickly, run solder and out quickly.
    Electric iron with as large a chisel tip as you can get to fit into the job would be a good start.
    Stay away from the pin type tips........best out of the range shown below for example would be the 5th or 6th from the right.
    Keep the tip clean using a damp sponge tip cleaner and tin the tip shaking off any excess before each application.
    Good idea not to work in bare feet though given the above. :)

Attached Files:

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question