Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering points .. Clearcoated board

MrWho

Dec 16, 2011
Hi Guys,

I need to replace eeprom on my TV.
Problem is that part of the board seems to be clear coated ..

Is there some solution to remove it so I can solder to it ?

thank's

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there.
I think your referring to pcb varnish / lacquer, very carefully i would use a very Sharpe scrapper, but pull towards you only in strokes, pushing will damage the tracks, or you could use cellulose stripper, but this is more aggressive, and if you slop it about your remove lacquer from other places, but used locally with a small artist type brush it will remove the lacquer for resoldering, it wont damage the pcb or tracks, but it does need care in use.

Once your up and running again you should re spray with a pcb lacquer, it there for insulation. :)

PS. if you dont have a small scrapper you can modify one from a snapped utility knife blade, be careful snapping the solid ones there very high carbon steel, ware eye protection if you intend on snapping a solid blade. Oh thick gloves leather, or tough cloth.

MrWho

Dec 16, 2011
Hi there.
I think your referring to pcb varnish / lacquer, very carefully i would use a very Sharpe scrapper, but pull towards you only in strokes, pushing will damage the tracks, or you could use cellulose stripper, but this is more aggressive, and if you slop it about your remove lacquer from other places, but used locally with a small artist type brush it will remove the lacquer for resoldering, it wont damage the pcb or tracks, but it does need care in use.

Once your up and running again you should re spray with a pcb lacquer, it there for insulation. :)

PS. if you dont have a small scrapper you can modify one from a snapped utility knife blade, be careful snapping the solid ones there very high carbon steel, ware eye protection if you intend on snapping a solid blade. Oh thick gloves leather, or tough cloth.

Hi Dave,

Yes you are right its a conformal coating.

I looked up this http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8310.html

I guess this will do the trick ?

Thank You
Cheers,
Kris