Connect with us

soldering onto conductive paint or glue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by valvusmusicus, Apr 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. valvusmusicus

valvusmusicus

Sep 15, 2012
    Hi All
    I have a Roland 80017A chip that has lost one of its legas and solder pad that the leg solbers onto
    Can i use a conductive paint (suspended aluminium particles, Bare Paint or any other kind of paste/solution to cure this

Cheers all
    V

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This will probably not work. Use a thin wire and solder both ends to the respective point on the PCB and on the chip

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Aluminium particle will not produce a conductive paint due to the surface oxide.

Conductive paint uses silver or graphite particles.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Are you saying that the leg of the chip has broken off?

If so, you may be in a bad place. Do you have a photograph?

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    There is usually a generous amount of epoxy on most chips before you get anywhere near the die, for broken legs you can usually use an sharp razor blade and expose enough of the broken off leg by scraping the epoxy around it to glue a new lead onto...

6. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes definitely, I recently saw a transistor with its epoxy eaten away with acid to expose the die, there was a LOT of room between the bottom of the epoxy shell and the die edge. The die itself was only 5mm square.

Ask a Question