Connect with us

Soldering iron

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Karthik rajagopal, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Hi all,
    I used to see many videos In YouTube where I have noticed that some use their soldering iron to make holes in a plastic.will that affect the iron? Will the soldering iron melt solder again?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it.

Many plastics release nasty chemicals when heated.

It can cause your soldering iron to smell of plastic for quite a while, but it won't stop it getting hot (which is what would stop it from melting solder)

You should be able to clean the tip. At worst you could replace the tip.

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Thank you for the reply

4. dante_clericuzzio

dante_clericuzzio

Mar 28, 2016
    Deep the tips in solder flux while hot and clean it with brass coil clean it should be fine...i did it most of the time and nothing happen anyway my solder iron is cheap like a couple of bucks 60 watt but it works wonders

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I side with *steve* on this. If you really want to use your iron for plastics melting, just use that tip for your plastic work, and use a separate tip for regular soldering. Some of those plastics just ruin the tip for normal soldering operations.

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah, I have to admit to using the iron for punching holes in plastic, melting 2 plastic bits together in a joint etc many, many times over the years

Tis a good idea to have a separate tip for doing that process :)

Dave

7. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Thank you guys for helping me. Thanks a lot.

(*steve*) likes this.
Ask a Question