Connect with us

Soldering iron vs hot air

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Threezerozero, Aug 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Threezerozero

Threezerozero

Aug 7, 2013
    I have some soldering experience but which is better for small electronics hotair or soldering iron?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It depends.

I often use a soldering iron to solder SOT-23, SO-8, and even (occasionally) TFQP-64 packages.

However I would only very rarely use a soldering iron to *remove* a surface mount package with more than 2 pins.

It's an issue of convenience for me.

3. Threezerozero

Threezerozero

Aug 7, 2013
    I am tinkering with fixing some ipods at the present time (as a hobby) and was wondering, when I'm setting the new component (with small solder joints) if it was easier to connect to motherboard by way of concentrated hot air or an electronically controlled soldering station at a lower temp? This connection does not penetrate the motherboard. I can do 'through' connections. PS, this is a passion of mine that I have gotten away from some 28 years ago and I would like to know what your reference to SOT-23 and other packages are. I was into computers ahead of my time. Remember the Radio Shack Color Computer II? LOL. I bought memory chips from Radio Shack and 'piggy backed' them to turn it into a whopping 64K machine! Thank you for your time and experience. Scott

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  4. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    For installing stuff it's pretty much a matter of preference. I usually use an iron for installing components so I can use the minimum amount of heat necessary for as short a time as possible. For installing, I like irons, for removal I like hot air. Steve's reference to the packages was mainly in reference to the pin pitch I think.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Well, size too...

I probably wouldn't pull out my iron to solder an 0201 capacitor...

Even fine pitch IC's can be soldered with an iron if there is sufficient room around them.

It's packages with the pads (or worse... balls) under them which generally get me grabbing for the rework tool. If they have balls, I typically don't...

Ask a Question