Connect with us

Soldering Iron Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by calin666, Feb 16, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. calin666

calin666

Nov 6, 2011
    I am looking at getting a new soldering iron, and was looking at this one.
    It looks like it will be perfect for my use, but, I am worried about the tips.
    Will I require special/propitiatory tips, or will I be able to use an average tip bought at Radio Shack?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Get a temperature controlled iron with a small chisel point. Small means around 2mm wide at the tip.

If you're planning to solder things requiring lots of heat (tabs of TO-220 devices) then you may need something bigger (iron too)

3. calin666

calin666

Nov 6, 2011
    What would you suggest, in or around, that price range?
    I have only dealt with the basic Radio Shack ones, and really want to get a better quality.
    What is your opinion?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I haven't purchased enough soldering irons to really be able to recommend models or price ranges. This might help (it includes a recommendation of equipment I think)

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You have to think about how often you use your iron, what you use it for, and how
    long you want it to last. Weller makes a good line of irons, replacement heating elements,
    and a wide variety of replacement solder tips.
    I use Weller a lot because I can change the heating elements and tips to match the
    work I'm doing. If you buy a small block of sal amoniac, it's easy to re-tin the tips
    of your soldering tips, which will greatly extend their service life. They're not all
    that difficult to find, and there are other manufacturers you can look at as well.
    Radio shack is lousy at long-term support for the stuff they sell these days.
    If you invest in somthing they sell now, they may not carry tips for it 5 years from now.

Ask a Question