Connect with us

Soldering back wires to an earbud PCB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by RothFTP, Oct 12, 2016.

1. RothFTP

RothFTP

Oct 12, 2016
    Hello,

That's my first thread and post in this forum.

I used to be a happy user of an Xears CP-100 pair for 7 years now, until the metallic housing opened and the wires got severed from the circuit board.

For some reason I decided to clean the inside of the housing before soldering. Thus, I scratched this glue-like yellow stuff that was covering two of the contacts.

When I tried to re-solder the wires, I noticed that the phone works for as long the solder is hot, for a few seconds. No sound after it gets cold.

Trying to make sure if the glue-like thing is the reason for the above problem, I pried open the other, operational earbud and scratched the glue from it, as well. The same thing happened - the bud is not working, until I warm the solder. What is this glue thing? What can I do to substitute or work around it?

Thank you in advance for any of your answers

I have attached photos of the PCB:

Attached Files:

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There are a lot of old posts in this forum explaining the best way to repair these things. I posted a few, the best
    explanation I remember came from KrisBlueNZ if you can find it.
    The temperature hasn't got anything to do with this. The problem is actual metal to metal contact.. I would
    assume the laquer or 'glue' temporarily liquefies when you heat the solder, allowing the metal contact points to touch,
    and then the 'glue' hardens when the temperature cools, allowing insulation of the metal contact points.
    You have to make the contact points remain touching to make the complete circuit.

Ask a Question