Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solderable paint?

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
I know of electrically conductive paints, but I'm looking for a a substance/product that can be painted to a non-solderable surface, let dry, and then soldered to. Anybody know of such a product? This is not an electrical application, so conductivity or other factors not important, I just need the solder to stick. Also, this would be a substitute for adhesive backed copper tape/sheet material, so this need not be suggested as an alternative. Thanks in advance for any help.

-MWG

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Is there a reason you have to use solder to make the connection vs say a silver/grey colored epoxy that simply looks like solder?

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
Hi MWG
Yes, you can probably use "liquid silver". It's for instance used for repairing heating conductors on car windows. I have tried to solder on such surface. Not totally easy, but as I remember I got it to work.

You can find a lot of those products on Ebay. Here is a link. I don't know what the English name for this product is (and I don't have time to search for it). Sure you will find it in whatever region you are based.

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
CocaCola: Yes, it's for stained glass so it should be solder, epoxy wouldn't have the same 'aesthetic qualities', shall we say.

Electrobrains: Thanks, I'll look into that.

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
..Electrobrains: Thanks, I'll look into that.
I just looked a bit on the web. It seems everybody has difficulty to solder directly on the liquid silver surface.
A good tip was to put a small piece of wire into the paint, let it dry, fix it with rapid glue and solder to the wire.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
CocaCola: Yes, it's for stained glass

Well copper foil is the time proven method for stained glass, for those that don't want to actually do the lead came method, is there a particular reason why are you trying to do it differently?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
This probably won't help but a typical industrial process involves a molybdenum and powdered glass paint applied to a glass or ceramic surface which is then fired in an inert gas filled kiln to burn off the binders in the paint leaving a glass/molybdenum matrix which can be plated with nickel or gold and then soldered to.

There is at least one copper bearing metallizing paint that uses epoxy binders to make it heat resistant enough for soldering, but it may not be available for non-industrial use.

Last edited:

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
Well copper foil is the time proven method for stained glass, for those that don't want to actually do the lead came method, is there a particular reason why are you trying to do it differently?

I do both (came & foil methods), but occasionally there are instances where copper taping is difficult. The thought occurred to me that a paint-on solderable sustance would be a quick, easy, innovative solution. Although there is something to be said for tradition, if we do not try new ideas, innovation and advancement will not occur, right?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I liked Electrobrains idea, I suppose it depends on your final application.
I will note, that they don't just make conductive silver in a nail-polish like base (used
for circuitboard trace repair). The also make a nickel and a copper version.
Check GC Electronics products.
Silver stuff is going to cost you a pretty penny with the precious metal price today.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
A solvent-thinned epoxy with surface applied copper powder or flake may work.

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
I liked Electrobrains idea, I suppose it depends on your final application.
I will note, that they don't just make conductive silver in a nail-polish like base (used
for circuitboard trace repair). The also make a nickel and a copper version.
Check GC Electronics products.
Silver stuff is going to cost you a pretty penny with the precious metal price today.

Just got the nickel stuff, as suggested by the helpful clerk at my local electronics supply store (Al Lasher's Electronics, Berkeley, CA) I'll let you all know how it works out.

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
A solvent-thinned epoxy with surface applied copper powder or flake may work.

I really like this idea in terms of it sounding like it has a high probability of working, BUT it would possibly be just as time consuming as my struggling to get copper tape inside/around difficult angles/shapes of glass. I was really hoping for a ready mixed product that I could just paint on, let dry, solder.

mwg

Aug 7, 2012
Well, after a preliminary test, the nickel stuff (actual name: 'Nickel Print' by MG Chemicals) seems to work. Painted it on an edge of scrap glass (painted about 1", took all of about 20 seconds), let dry, soldered a bead along the painted edge, let cool, pushed on it with moderate pressure, and it held! Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone knows of other products, I'd still be interested in knowing about them.,

funyunbreath

Mar 6, 2024
Well, after a preliminary test, the nickel stuff (actual name: 'Nickel Print' by MG Chemicals) seems to work. Painted it on an edge of scrap glass (painted about 1", took all of about 20 seconds), let dry, soldered a bead along the painted edge, let cool, pushed on it with moderate pressure, and it held! Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone knows of other products, I'd still be interested in knowing about them.,
Did this product end up working out for you or did you find a better product? I’m also a stained glass maker interested in a good solderable paint as some of my designs are tricky for a decent copper foil application

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Despite its age the only solderable paint I know of would be the silver-based conductive paint some suppliers sell.