Connect with us

Solder Rash?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gadgetastic, Dec 14, 2011.

  1. Gadgetastic

    Gadgetastic

    27
    0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Over the last few days I've spent a lot of time desoldering from old boards. Yesterday I noticed that the skin on my face was red and irritated. I did some research and found some indication that solder fumes can do this. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Just looking for some independent confirmation. Thanks.
     
  2. davenn

    davenn Moderator

    13,216
    1,731
    Sep 5, 2009
    not in the 40 years i have been working with solder and solder fumes

    but as with any allergic reaction they can affect different people in different ways

    Dave
     
  3. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    25,171
    2,687
    Jan 21, 2010
    Most of the fumes come from the flux, not the solder.
     
  4. davelectronic

    davelectronic

    1,079
    12
    Dec 13, 2010
    Hi there. I dont come out in a rash, but if i am soldering for a long time the fumes make me feel a bit unwell, as stated different people affected in different ways, flux and lead fumes are both toxic, for prolong periods you might concider an extractor or build one. Many years ago casting fishing weights in lead had the same affect on me, melting lead on a stove, terrible head aches. I use lead free with a high silver content, but its expensive and still contains flux, but i find its better than lead.
     
  5. jackorocko

    jackorocko

    1,284
    1
    Apr 4, 2010
    You have been unsoldering old boards? Depending on how old they might be the chemicals may be far worse then they are today. You should make sure that you are in an environment that promotes good air circulation. Try to keep your head off to the side, not directly over the board when you heat the solder.

    I am not sure I would consider a rash an allergic reaction, but if you start getting patchy red bumps (hives) on your skin then that is different story. Be mindful of how you feel and keep benadryl on the ready. Otherwise you might just be overly sensitive to something in the fumes. It very well could pass and completely go away if you keep doing it.

    Take it from someone who has allergies and also has sensitive skin, fortunately I am allergic to the great outdoors and not anything solder related.
     
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. jackorocko

    jackorocko

    1,284
    1
    Apr 4, 2010
    I should add, if you are that worried about it, go see a doctor. Your health is more important then anything. If you can't afford to see one then you have a choice to make.

    But, if your throat hasn't swollen shut yet, it most certainly won't by the time you read this.
     
  7. Blue_fog

    Blue_fog

    17
    0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Don't do soldering work for a few days. If the problem persists then it might be smething else.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-