Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solder point unusable (unintentionally removed)

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Hi! My problem is that on a solder point the metal that should be there is not, so I cannot stick the metal to the point. In my USB wired Playstation 3 controller (unofficial), I removed the metal unintentionally, thinking it was some kind of grime. The concerned point is the D- one for a wire of the USB cable.

I also have this problem in a Playstation 2 controller I must repair, but this time there was already no metal for the point. The concerned point is a connection one for the left analog's mechanism.

So what can i do? Please help, I would be grateful, Thank you!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Pictures of the problem would help. I presume your use of the word 'metal' means you're referring to the PCB tracks??? This happens when you apply too much heat to the circuit board and the glue holding the copper to the board melts and allows the track to come away with the solder and/or lead you are removing.

You should be able to see the track leading away from the solder point - note that the track may be on the other side of the board - and you will have to scrape some of the solder MASK (probably 'green' in colour???) to reveal the copper underneath where you can (CAREFULLY) add more solder and attach your wire.

As mentioned this is all an assumption - post some pictures so we can confirm all this.

Lastly, if the board is MULTILAYERED then you may have additional problems - this remains to be determined (pics).

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
RSCN1809.JPGThis is from the Playstation 3 wired controller (I reassembled the other controller, that is why I took no pictures of it, but if it is really necessary, I will). See the point just below the yellow wire, that is the concerned one. Every solder I do only gets to the wire itself. As for the board, only thing I know is that the circuit is one-sided: the other side is brown in color.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
See the point just below the yellow wire, that is the concerned one. Every solder I do only gets to the wire itself.

OK you need to do as Kellyseye said and VERY CAREFULLY scrape off a little of the green coating where the lettering D- is so that you can then see the bare copper track.
Then you can solder to that point

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ohhhh .... and you would probably be wise to pass the bare tinned wire up through that hole and then bend down and solder to the cleaned track
this will give the track some protection from being ripped off

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright, thank you! I will tell whether or not it worked so that others who get to the same problem will know.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
ohhhh .... and you would probably be wise to pass the bare tinned wire up through that hole and then bend down and solder to the cleaned track
this will give the track some protection from being ripped off
alternatively - or, as I'd advise, ADDITIONALLY - put a dollop of hot melt glue across the wires to stop them moving.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright, so it worked! Thank both of you, I just need to get the hot glue gun to ''strenghten'' the wires.