Connect with us

Solder paste

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hyudryu, Apr 3, 2010.

1. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    I bought a tin solder paste from home depot and i dont quite know how to use it... I just put it on the PCB and solder onto it right? But it barely makes a difference

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What did you buy? Flux or solder paste? (Flux is sometimes called soldering paste or solder paste). Is it silver/grey in colour, or some other colour?

3. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    Its gray and its H20 soluble

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Solder paste is supposed to be used with surface mount technology, using infrared or hot air - not soldering irons..

5. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    Oh. Really? I just use it as flux for my solder... I dip my solder inside it and use it normally. I find that it helps

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, really.

Solder paste does contain a lot more flux by volume than normal solder, so it is probably quite effective as flux.

If it contains lead, it's not good form to get it on your skin. If the solder and the paste are different formulations, be aware that you're creating a hybrid beast of solder with unknown properties.

7. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    Its lead free

8. nay27uk

nay27uk

Dec 19, 2009
    as the other member states solder past is used for SMD components in a process called Reflow Soldering, to better understand this magic go to youtube and search "reflow soldering"

Ask a Question