Connect with us

Solar powered Smart Charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hyudryu, Apr 28, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    I want to charge NiMh AA batteries from the sun. And i want to make a smart charger that charges faster for it. I think those "Fast Chargers" raise the voltage to like 5V or something to charge 2 AA in series and then when the voltage of the batteries go to 1.5V each, it slows down the charge and stop. Is that right? I want to make a solar powered battery charger or just a Fast charger. No solar powered If that's too complicated

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Read and understand this, then read this.

3. hyudryu

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
    It says NiCd and Ni Mh are the hardest to charge and will overcharge... One time i connected it to my power supply at 1.5V and it started drawing like 200mA

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That is correct. What you are wanting to do is possible, but it is quite difficult. It is made more difficult by the somewhat unpredictable voltage of your source.

I suspect that while you may be able to find a dedicated NiMH charger IC, you would then have to figure out how to drive it from a solar panel. It may be as easy as causing the charger to turn off at low voltages, however that presumes you have a circuit where the batteries under charge can be kept connected with the power off, and where there is no state information held in the controller. I suspect it would also have the potential to totally muck up any delta temperature readings.

5. NickS

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
    There are plenty of good IC's for charging your batteries but how much energy is your solar source capable to supply under good sunlight conditions? And I agree that not being able to finish the entire 3stage charge cycle will complicate and perhaps prevent you from properly charging the batteries.

But if you were to perhaps permanently attach a SLA battery to the solar panel(through some simple circuitry) then you could perhaps trickle charge the SLA and use that stored energy for other thinks like charging you NiMH's

Actually I am not sure if it is appropriate to take an SLA from dead to full charge with just trickle current. Can I have a second opinion on this?

Ask a Question