Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Powered Phone Charger

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Most phones use LiPo batteries, so it is highly recommended to look at the charging characteristics needed by LiPos, as they can easily be destroyed, and even cause a fire, if charged incorrectly. So it is not just a simple voltage regulator needed on the output of the solar panel.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Most phones use LiPo batteries, so it is highly recommended to look at the charging characteristics needed by LiPos, as they can easily be destroyed, and even cause a fire, if charged incorrectly. So it is not just a simple voltage regulator needed on the output of the solar panel.
Most phones have their own charging circuit and can take care of the battery themselves when provided with 5V and an appropriate amount of current. I would not recommend bypassing this and directly charging the battery

WaleLuvr

Aug 29, 2014
How would i connect the solar panel to the inverter? And still i am not sure what kind of inverter i need

AdamPan

Sep 1, 2014
Ok thanks for guiding..I think i was making similar mistake

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
How would i connect the solar panel to the inverter? And still i am not sure what kind of inverter i need
You have been told what you need several times. No one of said you needed an inverter.

I will tell you once again, what you need, this time more explicitly.

1. A solar panel outputting 5W at greater than 5V.
2. A DC-DC converter (buck converter) that can handle the input from the solar panel and produce 5V at 1A.
3. A USB type A connector so you can plug in your phone.
4. Possibly some resistors to set the charging current.
4. Some wires.
5. Solder.
6. Some kind of housing.

Bob

AdamPan

Sep 1, 2014
Most phones use LiPo batteries, so it is highly recommended to look at the charging characteristics needed by LiPos, as they can easily be destroyed, and even cause a fire, if charged incorrectly. So it is not just a simple voltage regulator needed on the output of the solar panel.Ok thanks for guiding..

I think i was making similar mistake

Problem solved so thanks..

Last edited by a moderator: