Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Powered Display Cabinet

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
We are trying to build a simple display cabinet with a string of multicoloured LED's and an Arduino with a simple circuit for display. We would like to make the display solar powered and it would be in doors. There is a lot of information online for full scale solar projects, but I can't find anything for a project this small. I believe that I have figured out that it will need to be grid tied system (so no battery) but I can't find a kit for anything this small. Could anyone provide some suggestions for the parts that I need to get something like this working.
Thanks for the help.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You do not make sense:
1) Solar powered.
2) Indoors so there is no solar (no sunshine).
3) Grid tied so the circuit is powered from the electricity grid (so no solar panel).

A string of LEDs operate from a certain voltage and use a certain amount of current but you did not say the voltage and current needed for the LEDs. You say the circuit must be small but you did not say the maximum size but a solar panel might need to be much larger, especially when there is no sunshine indoors.
Have you seen the size of a solar garden light that has only one LED?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Grid tied is a term used for rooftop solar arrays, where you sell the power to the electric utility. I don’t think that is what you are talking about here.

Rather than telling us what you think yoiu need(and being way off base,) tell us what you are trying to do.

Bob

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
Ok, I am really sorry. I thought I was being helpful but obviously I was wrong. The display case is for a school and what I would like to power is a multicoloured LED strip that says 12V, and then if possible power a video picture frame and an Arduino with a small circuit. I was hoping to use a setup that does not include a battery just to keep the cost down, but if a battery setup is what is needed, then I will make it work.

Based on the comment by Audioguru it may all be for not as the little bit of research where I was able to find some relevant information I thought that indoor lighting would be enough to power a cell. If I am wrong and completely out of my depth please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A solar panel is made for sunlight and its current is rated when the panel is facing directly to the sun at noon on the equator of earth. Indoor lighting produces 1/100th or 1/1000th the current. Use a battery or a wall wart but since you do not know how much current your project needs then you cannot power it.