Connect with us

Solar Power Lantern

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by sirvlad, Apr 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sirvlad

sirvlad

Apr 30, 2013
    I have two solar powered lanterns that got damaged. The boards were badly corroded so I removed all the components from the boards and cleaned them. I purchased new components and reassembled the boards but they don’t work none of the LEDs light up, i have tested the LEDs individually and they will light with voltage applied. I must have messed up somewhere but I don’t know. Perhaps the components I purchased were the wrong ones?

The board is powered by 3x AAA rechargeable batteries and there is a solar panel attached that recharges the batteries

Here is a parts list:
    2x 10ohm resistor
    1x 270k ohm resistor
    1x 128k ohm resistor
    1x 150ohm resistor
    1x Diode (markings: 1N5818GW / replacement: NTE585)
    2x Transistor (markings: S8050 C331 / replacement: NTE159)

Here is a picture of the traces on the board (**Note: The broken traces on the top of the board and inbetween the transistors have been repaired**)

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the front with traces painted over

[​IMG]

What did I do wrong? Are the replacement transistors wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The first thing that stands out to me is that an S8050 is an NPN transistor and an NTE159 is PNP.

If the transistor was in fact a 2SC331, then that's NPN too.

I'd be looking at replacing the NTE159 with a @n2222 or a BC548, or some other general purpose NPN transistor.

3. sirvlad

sirvlad

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you, i was just relying on the guy at the parts counter for the transistors. i don't know much about electronics i guess just enough to be dangerous. i have seen other solar power lamp schematics that use a BC548 so i will order some of those.

4. sirvlad

sirvlad

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you again steve, i went back to the store and got a BC548 equivalent and they work perfectly :)

Ask a Question