Maker Pro
Maker Pro

solar panel power loss

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
I wonder if altitude has a significant impact on the achievable power output. 4000ft above sea level where I live offers significantly thinner air to athletes and I could make a difference to the panel too. I was taught that solar panels in space can achieve power efficiencies 2 to 4 times what we see on the ground due to lack of atmosphere. Conceivably they would be worst efficiency at sea level. So I would look into the datasheet and see if that max power was taken at a certain elevation.

I would be interested to hear thoughts on this aspect.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm not updated on those figures but I'm under the impression that you get up to 1000W/m2 on earth (zero elevation) and 1500W/m2 in space.
I'd expect more from a panel if used at a considerable elevation.
In space you have no clouds etc. (except night/day) to reduce the insolation, maybe that's included in the 200-400% figure.
It doesn't take much to reduce power even further from a bare cell though. A pane of glass in front and you're down around 20%. The cells are bare when used in space.

trobbins

Jun 15, 2010
I think the factor is closer to 1.35-1.4 for space for radiation intensity, and the spectrum changes too - which can be significant for some cell technologies more than others.

Space-grade cells typically use a very thin glass cover-slip over the front of the cell (typically a gallium arsenide type).

Another advantage of altitude is that typically the temperature drops significantly - which when added to probably ~1.1 improvement in intensity at 4000ft may well add up to ball-park 20% nett increase in power harvest.

Ciao, Tim

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Naturally, there is a lack of convective cooling in space though...

Grapat

Feb 3, 2011
solar power loss

so whaqt is the best type of PV panel to use then? Poly or Mono and is the diff' in price worth , how do their degredation characteristics differ?? Is it worth installing a 1.9 K system in the UK? Graham

trobbins

Jun 15, 2010
Grapat, you'll have to ask specific questions to get specific responses. Your questions, as put, can't be answered with any definition.

Grapat

Feb 3, 2011
surely Mono versus Poly' is a specific question?? and if in the Uk anyone out there has fitted a system was it worth it?? Graham

trobbins

Jun 15, 2010
Maybe if you explain your situation - what you are contemplating - why you are contemplating - whether you've got a quote - what systems you've seen first hand - whether cost is an issue - is it just grid connect - what your load profile is like - ...

Grapat

Feb 3, 2011
I am interested in the practicalities not some vague conceptual contemplation , the idea is to fit PV solar to save energy costs over a long period, yes I have quotes hence my questions as you can't ask suppliers as they have a vested interest in thier responses- graham

trobbins

Jun 15, 2010
So what is your quote for?

What practicalities do you know already?