Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Panel Help

goodjboy

Apr 27, 2012
Hi,

I got a 30 watt solar panel that I measured (not in the full sun) that puts out over 20 volts. I have not measured the output in direct sun but I imagine it is around 20 volts still.

My ultimate goal is to charge a bunch of rechargeable D batteries using this 30 watt panel. I found on Amazon a 12v device that charges two pairs of D batteries and I was thinking of getting a few of those devices and hooking them into my 30w panel.

What efficient solution can I use to make the voltage coming out of the panel be 12v so that I can power the battery chargers?

Is there a better method than using the battery chargers to use my 30 watt panel to charge a bunch of batteries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

goodjboy

Apr 27, 2012
The panel is rated to be 17.5 volts by the manufacturer. I must have measured the voltage without any load.

Wabajig

Apr 14, 2012
What type of battery is it, nickel cadmium, lithium, standard alkaline, carbon zinc, etc? I suppose I should assume the battery charger is made for your batteries, but they all draw current differently. The safe bet would to trickle charge a motorcyle battery with 12V series pass regulator, and run off the battery. Also use a heatsink on the transistor. Good luck.

Last edited:

Wabajig

Apr 14, 2012
Sorry about my late edit, had a customer. Just use the batteries they recommend though. Look up a series pass circuit, and for the zener use 13V and the resistor in series should 220 ohm / 1/2 watt. Transistor selection should be an NPN with a gain of 100 or better with power dissaption with heatsink of 20 watts min. Hope that helps, John