Connect with us

solar panel circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bigsooner, Dec 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bigsooner

bigsooner

Dec 16, 2013
    I am totally ignorent (or is it ignorant?) of solar power. Was an electrician in the Navy years ago.
    What I want to do, is extend the burn time of a garden path solar light (1 bulb?) which presently using one battery. If I connect 4 batteries in parallel, using only the original solar panel, will it be sufficient to charge all the batteries for the extended burn time?
    Can you suggest a circuit, which I might be able to use?
    Thanks.

bigsooner.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If the solar panel overcharges the battery, then having more batteries in parallel will extend the time it stays on. However to guarantee that, a larger (or more in parallel) solar panels would be better.

These cheap devices tend to both overcharge and over discharge batteries (also they're not protected from heat). This leads to the batteries failing comparatively frequently.

An alternative method would be to reduce the current drawn by the LED, but whilst that sounds trivial, it may not be as easy as you might imagine.

Ask a Question