Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar module systems to cover your house electricity consumption ?!

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
I am researching about this for few months, and as I go deeper into the topic and all the associated calculations, I gain more confidence to response like this : FORGET ABOUT IT.

It seems there is no way to economically justify such a move, unless you come up with a new invention.

In my case (Thailand) I have to pay about 300$ for a 180W module. This 180W module will reduce my electricity consumption about 20 units per month. Each unit consumption from the grid costs 30 cents. so each month I can save 6$.
So I can save 6$*12=72$ per year. It takes 5 years for me to cover the initial cost. (remember that I did not include the inverter, wiring and batter cost which makes everything double or even triple)

So my conclusion is this : Do not try to reduce your electricity bill by implementing solar system on your roof top, forget about it.

Am I right or wrong ?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
In the UK a number of companies will install and supply solar pannels on south facing roofs for free. You have to sign up for 25 years rent. They get their money from the electricity companies and I know a few people that pay vertually no electric in the summer.
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Depends on how you want to approach this..
Short term.. 'forget about it'

I bought a house... not because in the next 5 years I'll make money on it... It's for the simple fact that my time and money is going into something that I own, and is no longer paying for someone else's investments.
Your batteries will not last forever, and you need the initial investment for the wiring and inverter, but lets say it takes a good 15 years to pay itself back, anything after that is free power.
Long term thinking here, it would not be worth it, and you should forget about it if the maintenance costs of the batteries and panels it too high.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
The UK is not a good example as there are government subsidies in place.

In places with strong sunlight there also has to be shields that can limit the exposure of the panels, otherwise they overheat. This happened to a friend of mine in South Africa.